Chapter 21

Xanthe waited while they put the gel on her stomach. She watched for the image to come on the screen. Soon enough there it was. Then followed the sound of a nice strong heartbeat.

"Would you like to know the baby's gender?" the technician asked.

"yes please if it possible" Xanthe replied.

"Congratulations you have a healthy Baby girl there" the technician said.

"Thank you so much" Xanthe replied.

When she got home there was a huge bunch of red roses on her doorstep. She smiled and a solitary tear run down her cheek. She read the card.

"I love you. Please can I see you? I miss you xx Always yours D"

She thought about the card while she showered, the gel always made her feel sticky. She looked at the beautiful flowers. She loved him too. She longed for one of his warm hugs.She missed his hugs, and she missed him. She decided it was time. She picked up her phone, and with a picture of her ultrasound attached, she texted Dom.

"Please can you come? Lilli-Rose and I miss you xx" Her phoned buzzed back almost immediately.

"Thank you I will be there soon"

It did not take Dominic long to get there. He knocked on the door and took a deep breath. The door opened, he smiled and swept her into a warm hug. They stood together just holding each other. Xanthe realised in that moment how much she actually missed him and his hugs. Finally she stepped back from his embrace. He gently touched her growing belly and smiled. Lilli-Rose? She nodded. He looked her in the eyes and kissed her. She could tell that he had missed her too.

"I am so sorry Dom. Those photos must have been hard for you to see. They were hard for me to see again. I was void of feelings back then. they were means to an end. It was how I coped. It was how I got through school." she explained.

"Sure they were hard for me to see, but you had your reasons at the time. That is in your past and Summer had no right to drag up your past like that." he replied.

"Speaking of Summer, why is she in the hospital?" Xanthe asked.

"She had a total breakdown that day. I couldn't believe that I didn't see it coming. I felt such a failure. So I did what I thought was the best for her. She needed help that I couldn't give her." he said.

"You are a great father Dom. You were dealing with your own demons, you couldn't possibly have seen hers. The important thing is you are helping her now." Xanthe said sympathetically.

"Xanthe" Dominic said. "Can I stay here with you? At least until Summer comes out of hospital?" he continued.

"I would love you to stay here with me Dom. But what happens when Summer is ready to leave hospital?" she asked.

"We will work that out when the time comes. I just want to be with you my love." he said.

"OK Dom. Let's try." she agreed.