Chapter 16

Things were a little strange when Xanthe left to go home. Something was definitely not right with Summer. She was almost too calm. Xanthe didn't know if it was that making her feel queasy or whether something she ate at the party was off. So she decided to take a warm shower and watch TV. As she sat watching TV she thought about the coming weeks at work. They had an exhibition coming up at the gallery. She went to the calendar to check up on the exact dates. As she flicked through she notice her signature red dot. Xanthe froze to the spot and felt the colour drain from her face. She flicked back another month.

"Oh my God! How did I not realise! I can't be!" she shrieked at herself. She had missed not one, but two periods and was about to miss her third. How did she not work it out sooner. Xanthe went straight to the chemist and bought a pregnancy test. She rushed straight back home and went directly to her bathroom. She followed the instructions and waited. As she waited she thought about her fragile relationship with Summer. This would totally break what remained of their friendship. She looked at the two lines on the test. She was definitely pregnant. How on earth was she going to tell Summer? She thought as she just stared at the two lines.

She decided not to say anything until she had been to the Doctor for confirmation. Thinking about when it may have happened she worked out the dates. It was the weekend they had spent together while Summer was at her Aunt's place. The next day she went to the Doctor who indeed confirmed that she was close to three months. He booked her for an ultrasound in a couple of weeks. Xanthe headed home.She sat on the couch still looking at the test on the coffee table. She decided to text Dom. She needed him.

"Can you come over now please?" she texted.

Her phone buzzed back almost straight away.

"Sure my love. I will be there ASAP Dominic replied.

She was still sitting on the couch when he knocked at the door. He must have forgotten his key.

"It's open Dom. Come in" she called. The door opened and he smiled at her.

"Did you miss me already?" he smiled. Then he saw the ashen look on her face. Something was wrong. He strode across the floor and swept her into his warm and loving embrace.

"Oh Dom" she cried "Summer will never forgive me now"

"Xanthe my love, Summer will come around." he said softly.

"Not now she won't" she said looking at the test. Dominic's eyes followed Xanthe's and he looked at the test.

"Oh Xanthe my love, are we having a baby?!" he asked.

"It appears so Dom. The Doctor confirmed it this morning" she replied.

"Are you happy Xanthe?" he asked cautiously.

"I think I am Dom. It was a surprise. Are you happy Dom?"she asked.

"Oh my beautiful Xanthe I am over the moon! Just when I thought I could not love you more. You give me a child." he replied.

"How are we going to tell Summer? I promised her no more lies" Xanthe cried.

"One thing at a time my love. How far along are you?" he asked.

"It seems our weekend together was magical in more ways than one." she said

"It was a very good weekend" he smiled. "so you are almost three months."

"We have to tell Summer. Even though it will be the end of our friendship, she has to know." Xanthe said.

"We will have dinner with her tonight and tell her together" Dominic suggested. Xanthe agreed and then ran to the bathroom to vomit.