Chapter 3

Xanthe's phone buzzed with a message. It was from Summer.

"Can you come over today?"

"Sure just give me an hour OK" Xanthe replied.She got up and got dressed. She kissed a sleeping Dominic on the cheek and left. She raced home and got changed. Then she headed to Summer's place. She knocked on the door and waited. When Summer answered she looked worried.

"What's up Summer?" Xanthe asked.

"I'm worried about Dad. He didn't come home last night." Summer replied.

"I'm sure he will be fine." Xanthe reassured her.

"He has been drinking more often lately" Summer said.

"Maybe he is just sleeping it off somewhere." Xanthe said.

"You're right Xanthe. I'm sure he will be fine. I guess no news is good news right?"

"How about I make us both some coffee?" Xanthe offered.

They were sitting together enjoying their coffee when they heard keys rattle at the front door. The door opened and Summer's Dad walked in.

"Good morning Dad" Summer said brightly.

"Good morning Summer. Good morning Xanthe." he said.

"Good morning Mr Rayne. How are you today?" Xanthe asked.

"A little tired today. I think I will have a lay down" he said. And disappeared to his room.

"See what I mean Xanthe? He is not himself."

"He seemed OK to me Summer. He did look tired though" Xanthe replied.

"I think he is feeling guilty about going to the bar so often.Or my other thought was that he has met someone and doesn't want to tell me in case I get mad."Summer explained.

"I am sure if that is true Summer, he will tell you.He probably feels guilty. It's hard to know when the right time is to move on." Xanthe said.

"You are right Xanthe. Honestly I would be happier knowing he had moved on rather than drinking his troubles away." Summer told her.

"Why don't you just ask him? You are both adults. Sit and talk to him. It would probably ease both your minds." Xanthe said.

"Thanks Xanthe. You are wise beyond your years." Summer laughed. "i will talk to him this afternoon."

It was the least Xanthe could do after leaving her friend early the night before. She hated seeing her best friend so worried. She was sure Summer and her Dad could work things out together.