Chapter 14

Xanthe woke up early Saturday morning. She had actually slept all night, but still felt tired. She made herself  cup of tea and toast for breakfast. She was going to the beauty salon with Summer to have hair and make-up done for the party. They chatted happily together while they had mani's and pedi's. They laughed at the faces they pulled for the make-up artist. Then they had their hair done. It was a great morning.

"You  know I love you don't you Summer?" Xanthe asked.

"Of course I do Xanthe! You are my best friend ever!" Summer replied.

"I hope you have a wonderful night at your party" Xanthe said.

"I'm sure I will! Remember what we used to get up to at parties?! I am looking forward to meeting this secret man of yours!" she replied. With the hairdresser doing the finishing touches, they were done. 

"See you tonight Xanthe!" Summer called over her shoulder as she left.

Xanthe waited nervously for Dominic to arrive. There was a knock on the door, Xanthe took a deep breath and opened it. Dominic stood there smiling and holding a small corsage of red roses for her. He looked so handsome in his tuxedo.His tie was red to match her dress. He looked at her lovingly, like she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

"Are you ready?" he asked tenderly, putting the corsage on her wrist.

"Ready as I will ever be. I just hope we do not ruin Summer's party."she replied.

"You will be fine my love. I will be right by your side" he reassured her.

They headed to the party. People were still arriving when they got there. Hopefully there would not be a scene. Dominic held out his arm. Xanthe held it tight. She thought she could faint at any moment. As they got to the door Dominic looked at her and smiled. They entered the party, there was no turning back now. Xanthe will never forget the look of shock on Summer's face when she saw her best friend on the arm of her father!

"Dad? Is this your girlfriend?" Summer asked.

"Yes Summer Xanthe is my girlfriend." he replied.

"Seriously! With all the people in the city you pick each other!" Summer was getting louder.

"We can talk later Summer" Dominic said.

"Why him Xanthe?" Summer asked. "Have you screwed everyone your age?!" she spat.

"I love him Summer" Xanthe replied holding back tears.

"How could the two of you possibly think this was going to be OK with me?" Summer said glaring at them.

"Let's go and enjoy your party Summer. Save the rest of your questions for when we get home" Dominic said calmly. He squeezed Xanthe's hand reassuringly.

"Excuse me a moment Dom, Summer" Xanthe said as she made a bee line for the bathroom. She felt sick. She ran into the cubicle and locked the door. She spent the next ten minutes throwing up. What on earth was she thinking. How could it ever have been a good idea to tell Summer tonight.

"Not that I care Xanthe, but Dad asked me to see if you were OK" Summer said.

"I will be fine. I am so sorry Summer" Xanthe said as she came out of the cubicle. With that Summer walked away and returned to her party.