Chapter 10

Monday morning came around way too fast. Xanthe got out of bed and showered. She got dressed ready for work. She woke Dominic and told him she had to go.She didn't want to stay too long in case Summer returned early.

"Thank you for an amazing weekend Dom" she said.

"It was my pleasure Xanthe. You make me so happy. I feel whole again when I  am with you. I love you so much" he said.

Xanthe kissed him softly. She grabbed her bag and headed to the gallery. As she painted she thought about her weekend with Dom. She thought about how much she loved him. She was on cloud nine. She was packing up for lunch when Summer came in. A sudden wave of guilt washed over her. She felt terrible lying to her best friend.

"How was your Aunt's place Summer?" Xanthe asked

"It was lovely to see her.I had not seen her since Mum died. She was so glad I finally paid her a visit.She said I should visit more often." Summer replied.

"That's great Summer. Do you think you will take her up on the offer?" Xanthe asked.

"I think I will actually. It is so relaxing there. So when I dropped my bags at Dad's I noticed candles around the dining room. I think Dad had his girlfriend over while I was away." Summer smiled.

"Sounds like you Dad is very romantic" 

"I'm glad that he is happy again. I know my Mum would not have wanted him to stay lonely forever. I just hope I like her." Summer said.

"What if you don't like her? Will you still support your Dad's decision?" Xanthe asked.

"If I don't like her, it will be uncomfortable. I will certainly not hold back my opinions! I will try to find dirt on her. Remember those photos we used to take?" Summer said.

Xanthe felt so guilty. She had not even thought about Summer's Mum. She remembered how sad Summer and Dominic had been. She was glad she had been there for them. It was six months after Dominic's wife had passed when she ran into him at a local bar. He was drinking alone, trying to bury his hurt. Xanthe sat next to him.

"Are you OK Mr Rayne?" Xanthe remembered asking.

"Please call me Dominic" he had told her.She remembered the sadness in his eyes that day. It made her heart ache. She remembered sitting and drinking with him as he poured his heart out to her. She remembered just sitting and listening. She was a good listener. She had also been there for Summer. She became Dom's confidante that day. It was from that day he began to text her. At first it was just talking. After a month of meeting, he had began to kiss her. During the second month was the first time  they made love. He cried the first time. Xanthe remembered him saying it was a mixture of guilt and pleasure. After that day though, things just kept getting better.