Chapter 8

It's been a few days since they've arrived back home. Ella went straight to work the following day, while Niall had a meeting with Louis about upcoming events.

He's been so caught up in meetings and work, he hasn't had the chance to see Ella. They've only texted and called when they could.

So, by the time Friday came around, Niall was anxious to start the weekend and relax.

However, Ella had different plans for Friday night. She set up a meet up with her guy friend, Dean, so Niall could meet him. All she has told him is his name, age, and what's his favorite movie is. So he's really going into the meet up blind.

As he enters the small pub, he immediately sees Ella sitting near the bar. He sees Dean also, whispering something in her ear, making her laugh. Huh.

"Hey," he says as he walks up behind her. She turns around and smiles.

"Hey Niall!" she hops off her stool and hugs him tightly. "Feels great to see you! It's been too long."

"I know, I'm glad to see you." He squeezes her tightly and glances at Dean. He's staring at them intensely. Good.

Ella pulls away from the hug, a bit too soon for Niall's liking, and clears her throat. "Niall, this is Dean Lowe. Dean, this is Niall."

"Hello mate," Niall says, extending his arm. "Finally nice to meet you."

Dean nods and shakes his hand. "Ditto."

Ella sits in between them and chatters about her work the past few days since arriving back home. Niall doesn't really pay attention. He's constantly looking at Dean, who is giving Ella heart eyes. Just friends?

"Niall." He feels someone poking him in the ribs. "You haven't said much tonight. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just thinking about work. The usual," he replies and takes a sip of his pint. "So, how do you two really know each other?"

"Well, Dean and I met at university. He was also a theater major. We got paired up for a duo performance and it just happened," she replies. "So after graduation, we kept in touch and he grew to one of my best guy friends."

Niall looks at Dean when she said the last three words. He can almost feel Dean's pain, he swears he can see him flinch at the words. HAHA. He really shouldn't find that amusing...

"Ahhh, I see," he says and looks at Ella. "I bet it's nice to be this girl's best guy friend, isn't it Dean?"

Dean squints his eyes and nods slowly. "Yes, most definitely. She's a terrific girl...and friend."

Ella leans against Niall and sighs. "You guys are making blush. Oh stop it!"

He laughs and wraps an arm around her shoulder. "Well, it's true Ella. We're just being honest." She offers him a smile and lightly shoves him.

Dean stands up and sets his bottle down. "I need to go. I have to go finish some paperwork for the company."

"Really? So soon! We've only been here for a bit!" Ella says. "C'mon stay a bit more!"

"Yeah, it's a lot of paperwork. I should have finished it earlier this week," Dean shrugs on his leather jacket. "I'll see you later Ella. Nice to meet you again Niall."

"It was my pleasure lad. Hope to see you again sometime. Maybe we can out for a guys night or something."

"Yeah, see you two later." Dean nods and quickly makes his way to the door.

"That was awfully quick," she says, sounding a bit upset. "Didn't think he'd leave early."

"It happens," Niall rubs her shoulder gently with his thumb. "I'm sure we'll see him again."