Sunset

(Mei's POV)

I slowly enter the cold storage. The helpers we are secretly training and I easily distracted the guard Captain Jiang bribed. A helper lied saying Captain Jiang is asking for the guard so he left.

In the dimmed interior of the storage, I took off my mask as I have to adjust my eyesight first before I saw him.

My Uncle Shu.

He was lying in a blanket over the rolled straws. He was still bloody but someone already pulled out the sword in his chest. There was a small pool of blood on the floor besides the straws.

I feel my body numbing as the reality of it sunk into me.

My uncle is gone. He's dead now.

"U-uncle..." With shaking hands I touch his face. His eyes closed, there's blood on the corners of his lips. He looked pale and he felt cold already.

"Uncle!" I cried as I hug his chest. "Uncle it's me. Mei. I'm sorry Uncle Shu, I didn't get to help you and Dayu."

I cry like a child. Hiccuping and sobbing nonstop as I touch my uncle.

"Master Mei," Luau's voice woke me from my misery. I wipe my tears and straightened.

"Take him to Governor Feng. You know what to do."

The plan is to put uncle in a cart with the vegetables. He had to be sacked but nothing can be done about it. He can get angry at me but I am in a hurry to take him away from this place where he got killed.

Luau nodded. I sniffed and put my mask on back again.

I have to get Dayu next.

(Dayu's POV)

Fifteen minutes after Captain Wang left, Mei appeared.

"I thought he will never leave. We decided to dispatch the guards first as we wait," Mei handed me a bamboo canteen of water. "Drink. You have cried enough,"

I took the water and drank deeply, "Uncle?" I look at my cousin. Mei's eyes are swollen and red rimmed from crying.

"Already taken care of. Governor Feng is here. He will...welcome Uncle." Mei voice broke.

I nodded and quietly watch as Mei open the prison door to let me out. I hug him. Mei's arms embraced me too. Our hearts beating in rhythym.

If someone can understand the grief I am feeling right now, it will be Mei. He is Uncle's nephew too. He knew the pain I am going through and I am familiar with his pain right now.

We let go of each other. Mei looked away to sniff and I wait for him to compose himself.

"Captain Jiang?" I asked about his lover.

"Waiting for us in the forest. He...he refused to let me leave alone. But I told him I have to get you out on my own,"

"I understand,"

"Let's go Dayu. Huh? Uncle is waiting for us," Mei said as he handed me my sword. I raise my hand, but we both saw that it was still crusted with blood.

Our Uncle's blood.

Mei took my hand and hugged it to his chest. It was rising and falling rapidly as emotions threatened to overwhelm him.