Strange

(Qing's POV)

Something strange is going on and I can't name it. All I know is that strangeness is coming from my ward, Dayu.

It's been two days now since I got back from my solo sojourn in Sichuan and my ward looks different.

He is...being strange. Acting out of his normal way. Surprising me.

First the attentiveness. He is handing me things even before I can ask it from him. Like water, scrolls, a parchment paper, my boots, rice balls, even my clothes. It's like he knew I will need it snd he is ready to get them for me.

Second is his preferential treatment on me. Every meal time, he is the one that will serve my food for me. And the portion of my food is different from the other soldiers on the table.

I have more rice. An extra piece of boiled or fried egg. My meat stew will have more meat. He doesn't serve me vegetable I don't eat and I am the only one with readied water in front of me while the others had to stand up to go to the water jar at the corner of the Chow Hall. Water is self service here.

One meal time Jiang looked enviously at my tray and turn to Mei. "Why can't you be as sweet as Dayu?" He asked his lover.

Mei and I choked at the same time. Mei scowled while I am shocked. Dayu, sweet on me? What on the round Earth is Jiang blabbing about?

Aside from those strange things, Dayu also developed a new habit. Staring at me. And avoiding my gaze when I look at him. It's like having a feeling that someone is constantly watching you. But when I turn to catch him, he will avert his gaze or blush and look down.

If I don't know any better I will think that he...he...

He is infatuating with me.

But that would be ridiculous! Dayu, being fond on me? That's...it's...

Huh?

"Captain!"

I woke up from my deep thinking when I heard Mei shouting my name.

I look at him, "What?"

"Where did your mind went Captain, I have been calling your name for ten times and yet you won't answer," my second in command scowled at me.

I frown back at him, "Don't exaggerate. Ten times..." I look at my soldiers, "Is that true?"

The all grumble and nod, "More like eleven times," one soldier said. I smacked that soldier's head lightly with my stick.

"I think I am still tired from traveling and..."

"Captain Wang!"

I turn to see Dayu calling my name and running towards me. Behind me my soldiers snickered and starts whispering among themselves.

"Maybe his mind went with that,

"He can't hear me calling his name ten, eleven times but just one call from that boy,"

"Here comes his sweetheart,"

I didn't let the last one pass. I turn to smack the soldier who said that and they all scramble away from me.

Just in time for Dayu to stop just a foor away.

"Captain here," he held out the bamboo canteen with water and a red apple to me. "The blacksmith is asking for you. About the new shoes for your horse. I said I will deliever a message back to him if you do...have a message or will you go to the blacksmith yourself?"

He smiled shyly, his cheeks tinged with rose color. He looked down, not meeting my eyes. I didn't take the apple or the canteen or reply to what he said.

Moments passed. Dayu slowly lifted his head. He looked at me puzzledly. "Captain,"

I gave him a cold look, "I didn't ask for water or an apple. Run and tell the blacksmith that I will come to him after our training," I said in a cold tone.

Dayu's eyes rounded. He took back his outstretched hands and held the canteen and apple closer to his chest. He looked taken aback then he took a step away from me.

He's moving too slow for me so I shouted at him. "Move! Now!"

Dayu bowed and turn around to walk away.

I turn back to my soldier and addressed them in a loud carrying voice.

"Anyone else who thinks he is my sweetheart or he is being sweet to me I will tie to a post and to scream until no sound come out from those mouth. He is my ward, nothing more! One day I will finish looking after him and he will start to be a proper help here. Do you all understand,"

My soldiers quietly nodded. Behind me I heard Dayu's hurried steps, scrambling to get away from me.

Silence reigned. I have lost m concentration. I look at Mei, "Proceed with the exercise,"

My second in command shook his head at me then move to follow my order.

While I stared at nothing, just kept seeing Dayu's pretty eyes looking hurt. That won't do.

I decided to talk to him that night.

We were quiet doing all our preparations to sleep. It was too obvious that Dayu is avoiding me by being in another corner of the when when I am at the opposite corner.

Fine by me...I just need to clear some things for him.

After the light was off and we were both in our own bed lying down, I started the conversation.

"Dayu, I want you to stop being strange around me. I know you feel...grateful for all I have done for you. Helping you and all but remember that I also owe a favor when you saved my life. Do you understand,"

"Yes, Captain..." he answered in a quiet tone.

"When you act like that, people start thinking things about us. I am not comfortable. And besides you said it, you don't find other men attractive like that. And I do too, don't think men are attractive,"

Right?

I sighed.

"What I am trying to say is...treat me like how you treat me before. That's more than fine with me. Do you understand?"

"Yes Captain..." he said in the same quiet tone.

Now I feel frustrated and uneasy. I didn't say anything again.

Because I feel that the more I talk, the more mistake I am making.

Except I have no idea what mistake I am making.

I feel uneasy. Very uneasy.