Protector

(Qing's POV)

A keeper! Me! Of that clueless boy?!

Does my senses left me already? Am I turning insane? What was in my mind thinking that I can take responsibility for that boy?

My thoughts are rambling. My emotions are in a riot. I walked as fast as I could away from the the Chow Hall (soldiers term for the eating hall). Away from Mr.Shu who pressured me with a few words...

"Anyone to snatch the boy and devour him..."

What kind of words are those?! Who would...fine, there are a lot of people out there who will take advantage of an innocent boy like that but to volunteer myself...

"Argh!" I stopped and shouted. Soldiers lounging and doing various chores who heard me all scrambled to stand up straight. Fear in their eyes.

See? They are all scared of me. I put the fear in these men's heart, yet now I have to babysit a wide eyed innocent who is most probably a virgin too?

"Heard you took someone under you wing,"

I turned swiftly and saw a fellow Captain. Captain Jiang is a bit older than me but a good friend.

My face soured, "Your spies are fast,"

Jiang laughed, "No spies. Everyone in the kitchen are talking about how Captain Wang is finally caught, by a pretty faced boy of all things..." he laughed some more.

He was clearly enjoying himself at my expense. I sighed, can't blame Jiang after all, I am the one that made myself a laughingstock.

"He was from SiChuan," I said and that sobered Jiang up.

"Another one? You think this one will have the answers you are looking for? How many people from SiChuan had you interviewed already? And they all say the same thing, they don't know anything,"

I nodded, "I know but I am still taking my chances with this boy. Maybe he will have some idea..."

"I also heard he is a virgin," Jiang interrupted.

I froze. My eyes glinted as I stared at him intently. Jiang took a step back and raised his arms in surrender.

"Hey, I have no interest in the boy. You know who is taking all my interest and time..."

Of course I know, he is my second in command after all. Mei, tall, lean, quiet, reliable and serious Mei.

My second in command, is a former soldier at Jiang's company, but as the Captain kept on pursuing him he asked to be transfered to my troops where he rose on the rank of second in command.

Jiang is still pursuing Mei, publicly and noisily that left people without any doubt about his intentions to my second in command.

Mei is playing hard to get but I have a feeling that they are already in a relationship even before Mei transfer, maybe it was even the reason why he tranfered on the first place.

Of course, I know Jiang had no design for the boy...Dayu. That's his name....

But it won't hurt to announce my protection of the boy publicly.

"Good!" I said in a loud carrying voice. "Tell that also to your soldiers and everyone who can hear. The boy is under my protection, my ward. Touch him and that is the last thing you will do alive."

After that announcement I look around at the soldiers who pretending to do other things than eavedropped on our conversation. I started walking again.

Jiang fell in step beside me. "So intense, I love it!" he whispered then wink at me. "Hey, order your second in command to ask for more leather for your uniforms. Huh?"

"And if I do that? You will what? Wait for him in the sewing room to molest him..."

Jiang nodded, unashamed. "More or less that. Thank you," he patted my shoulder before walking off alone.

He thanked me even before I agreed to deliver his message. The arrogant bastard. I smiled and shook my head before frowning again as I remembered the mess I put myself into.

What had entered my mind to agree to protect that boy?!

The whole afternoon I didn't see Dayu (I am practicing using his name and not call him boy) but there was no shortage of people stopping me and telling me what he is up to.

"He is in the kitchen now washing the pots"

"He is carrying the food crates to the storage room."

"He is asking the soldiers how to polish their armors,"

It's like having an hourly report on someone who fetch, clean and carry stuffs. I never had a more thorough reporting before just like how these busybodies report Dayu's activities to me.

The whole camp had gone mad because of one skinny boy.

Then evening came, after dinner I went to my cabin to start my evening ritual before I sleep. I usually write or read before going to bed. But tonight...it will be a bit different.

I stopped a helper on the way to ask for an extra pallet for my room. The helper nodded and didn't say a word which is an advantage for the helper cause if he said or asked anything I might snap and lose control of my temper.

The helper fetched me the hay pallet and two blankets. I thanked him and took the items into my room. I placed the hay pallet on the floor beside my elevated bed. I arranged a blanket on top so it won't be too scratchy for Dayu...

I stopped.

Wait? Why do I care if he got scratchy while sleeping? He is already invading my space, now I also have to care if he is comfortable? Am I really his babysitter?

I kicked the blankets around in annoyance. But then straightened it again. Then took off my uniform to wash and change my clothes.

The night deepened but Dayu is still not coming. Maybe he didn't know that he will sleep with his keeper...

I stopped again.

No! I didn't mean sleep with me as in lie with me. What I mean is sleep with me, in the same room but different pallet.

Oh why do I have to explain myself?! He will sleep with me! Period!

Maybe he didn't know...should I fetch him?

I was about to get up when a knock sounded at my door. I stand up, startled.

He is here! Finally!