Prohibited Cure

(Mei's POV)

"Yellow fever?!"

Uncle Shu's chair toppled backward when he stood swiftly from it.

"Where is your cousin?" He asked as he circled the table to stand in front of me.

"In Captain Wang's cabin," I said.

"We have to get him out of there," my uncle's eyes are shifting, like Dayu's when they are planning. "I have to take your cousin somewhere to cure him and..."

"Uncle!" I held his shoulders to stopped his ramblings. "You know that would be impossible. If we take Dayu from Captain Wang, he will search for him, turn every rock in the whole Shaanxi province to find Dayu."

Not to mention when I disappear, Jiang will help Captain Wang to find us. Why did Dayu and I had to tangled ourselves with stubborn males?

"Then what should we do about your cousin Mei?" Uncle Shu is not thinking straight anymore because of worrying. I can't blame him, if Dayu dies, Uncle Shu's whole family will entirely vanish. With his brother, sister in law and nephew gone, his bloodline will die with Dayu.

"We have to find a cure for yellow fever," I said. "But the treatment for it is not yet discovered."

Silence swallowed us as we thought of a way to help Dayu. Yellow Fever is still a generally unknown illness. We can try traditional medicine, unconventional treatment or acupuncture to cure Dayu but that would mean sneaking around Captain Wang.

Dayu being inside that cabin will make it hard for us to treat him.

"We have to give him something that will affect his body fast. Something to kill that fever..."

"Poison?" I bit my lower lip. "Are you thinking of poisoning Dayu Uncle? But that would be dangerous, he is already feverish and weak.."

Uncle grew silent again. I feel helpless. At this rate, Dayu will die without getting help from us.

"We have to poison him Mei," Uncle Shu said after deliberating with himself.

I nodded, I also can't think of a better way to kill that fever than poisoning Dayu and killing him then giving him the antidote to shock his body to live and heal.

This kind of practice was popular on the Northern and Eastern part of the land in the last century but the risk was high that's why they put a stop on it.

Imagine almost killing a body with a poison so dangerous to kill that body including every disease and sickness that plagued it, then giving that almost dead body an antidote that will shock it back to life.

Timing will be the most critical point of that method.

But if anyone can do this, it will be us. And if anyone can survive being poisoned and shock with antidote, it will be Dayu.

I have to believe that. Or else I should start preparing a burial site for my cousin.

Well I won't have that. Dayu must remain alive or like I promise, I will die with him.

And I know someone who can help me because he don't want me to die.

"Distract Qing?" Jiang is shaking his head even before he start that question. "It will be more possible to distract a dead guy than distract Qing so he will leave Dayu's side. Mei, he closeted himself on that cabin with Dayu, even his father, the general, can't make him move."