Chapter 17: Confused About Lights

Confused About Lights

Today was Monday, the most dreaded day of the week. It was like the school was zombie infested with drained out teenagers. Teachers weren't up to their usual par either and I noticed plenty of empty Starbucks cups in trashcans.

My stomach grumbled loudly as I tried focusing on the geometry lesson Ms. Tassle attempted to teach. Mercedes cast me a glance, and we caught eyes for a few seconds. Her gaze was sharp, indifferent, like she was hiding something from me and I couldn't shake off the feeling that it had to do something with Tyler.

"You can begin your worksheet for the day," Ms. Tassle said, finishing her lesson.

I tore my gaze away from my best friend, trying to focus on the paper. It wasn't working; all the rumors of my best friend and Tyler were crowding around in my head. I had no idea if any of them were true, and with Mercedes acting as if I was a stranger a majority of the time, I couldn't get any answers out of her.

My stomach grumbled again, and I silently cursed it. Of course I forgot to eat breakfast again.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mercedes shoot me another look, this time filled with annoyance.

"I can't help it," I hissed to her, and she seemed surprised that I caught her looking at me again.

With a shake of her head, she reached down to dig around in her bag. Seconds later, she slid me a small pack of crackers.

"It'll hold you over until next period," she muttered, then proceeded to ice me out for the rest of class, not even allowing me to thank her.

What's her problem? I scowled to myself as the bell rang, signaling for our next period. My best friend was out the door before anyone else, and I heard snickers behind me.

"I guess Mercy got all her community service hours if she isn't hanging around with you anymore," Connor snorted as he passed by with Oliver.

I clenched my fists, glaring after him. "Listen, you are such-"

"Blaise," Antoni said darkly, coming to stand behind me. Connor and Oliver froze, then turned around, Connor's face as red as a hot coal.

"What, man," he asked irritably. "Oliver and I are-"

"Are going to say sorry," Antoni glared at them. "I'm tired of you two saying comments like that."

"You don't tell people to shut up when they're talking crap about Tyler and Mercedes," Oliver retorted smugly. "Especially when they talk about them being parents."

"That's their business, not mine," Antoni shot back. "But you don't have a reason to act all shitty to Valerie."

Connor sighed, "Alright fine. Sorry Valerie. Happy now, Antoni?"

Antoni shook his head, his eyes dark, as Connor and Oliver left without another word.

"I'm sorry about those two idiots," he said while we walked to the cafeteria a minute later.

"You don't need to," I replied, giving him a glance. "I could've fought them off with my words."

"They still shouldn't say that."

"It's fine," I insisted, spotting Mercedes at our table when we entered the cafeteria. "I'll see you during eighth?"

Antoni nodded, his expression unreadable. "Alright. Later."

Ugh, why is Antoni always jumping to my rescue then acting all fuckboy two seconds later? It doesn't add up.

I pushed the thought out of my mind. Now wasn't the time to analyze Antoni's behavior.