Chapter 1: Is it illegal to ask...?

Is it illegal to ask....?

"Are you sure it's not illegal to do this?"

Snort. "Illegal? Really? Asking the teacher for someone to be your partner is illegal? Honestly, Val, it's only for the project."

"That lasts for a month and a half!"

My best friend, Mercedes Dittmar, grinned at me and said in her most deepest Louisiana accent, "Take one for the team and suck it up buttercup!"

I glared at her as she flipped her long, shiny black hair in my face and looked at me with her dark ass blue eyes.

"Besides," she said. "This is all for our project after all. We need to finish this before the end of the year."

Mercedes handed me a journal, which read 'Princess boy diaries'. I sighed, taking the journal, knowing fully well what to do with it, while scowling and pushing past her to go to my World History class. She was right, we did need to finish this project before the end of the year.

Since Mercedes left for three years (and came back in the beginning of summer) to go back to Louisiana to help her Grandma's little financial problem, my best friend had already gotten her World History credit and was taking U.S History. Don't ask me how she did it, but all I have to say is that she's lucky. Miss Mercedes Dittmar doesn't have to be stuck with all four fuckboys in the most boring class ever. What a bitch.

The most horrid sight you could ever see when you walked into the classroom was this scenario:

Oliver West and all other fuckboys hooking up with some cheerleader in the front of the class or talking about stupid guy stuff and the teacher doesn't even care.

But I guess his defense is that he's nearly half blind and old as a crow.

I hurried to my seat, avoiding the fuckboys before setting my stuff down and heading over to the teacher as the bell rang. He looked up at me as I approached his desk.

"Mr. Eisen," I began. "Is it alright if I may suggest my partner for the project?"

"Valerie, you know my rule. No picking partners for a long term project," he said sternly, staring up at me from his spectacles.

"Please, sir," I begged. "It's very important that I have a certain individual. It is for a... Good purpose?"

He humphed. "A good purpose? Who do you have in mind then?"

I inwardly cringed but said his name anyway. "Antoni Garza, sir."

"Antoni? Why him?"

"Well because we live close by from each other, it's easier to work on the project and.....we'll save gas money?"

I inwardly face-palmed. Seriously, Val? Gas money? That has got to be the worst excuse cover-up ever.

"Hmm..." Mr. Eisen grumbled. "Saving gas money is good for all of us..." He stared at me again and nodded slowly.

"Just this once," was all he said before shooing me to my desk and starting to take roll. I sat there, half of me praising myself for getting the excuse good in Mr. Eisen's book yet the other half dreaded the next few weeks.

My World History teacher got up from his desk, hobbling over to the center of the room with a sheet of paper and leaning against the white board. He coughed before rubbing his gray mustache and beginning to explain what we needed to do.

"Now, before I call out the partners, I'd like to refresh your memory on what this one month project is about. Half of you have Germany and the other half of you have Russia. You will need to research the topic I have given you and see how it connects to the opposite side during World War II.