'What's wrong?'

'The hinges.'

Fiona came up to Steven and saw the hinges for herself. They were completely twisted, bent out of shape.

'Don't you have any spare ones?' She asked, hoping Steven did.

'I might in my toolbox, but I'm not sure if they're the right size.'

'I'll go and see.'Fiona said, and off she went, looking inside the plastic storage case. She found some and asked.

'Will these do?'

Steven took the hinges and gave them a quick inspection. 'Yeah.'

Fixing the cupboard doors was tricky. Anyone who has had a cupboard door come away from its hinges — will know you have to hold the cupboard in place, screw the hinges, and balance the screw, all at the same time.

And Steven couldn't do everything.

'Well, don't just stand there, gawking — give me a hand.'

'Do you want me to hold the cupboard door up for you?' Fiona asked. Knowing fine well, she was about to get a sarcastic reply thrown at her. And she did.

'No, I want you to stand there like a wet blanket dripping. Course, I want you to hold the cupboard door up for me.'

Fiona, too tired to say anything, held the cupboard door as Steven instructed.

Fixing the cupboard doors took the best part of two hours; Fiona and Steven finally made it to bed at four in the morning.

Steven hadn't slept well

Steven hadn't slept well. Nightmares had raped his sleep.

He felt shattered and knew he didn't have to look in the mirror to know how tired he looked. He could feel it. His whole body crying out for sleep.

The nightmares, which had raped his sleep by midday, were long gone, and the only fragment that remained was the part where he had woken up. Saw himself standing at the edge of the bed, looking at Fiona as she slept.

By the one in the afternoon, he had forgotten about the bad dreams, and he was now more concerned about the visit from the social services than scary dreams.

He had texted Fiona during his lunch break to see if everything was okay. Fiona sent a message saying it was.

Yet, Steven had his doubts it was. He had to ring home and make sure it was.

And it was. Thank God for that.

 Thank God for that