Chapter 1

Xanthe stood and looked at herself in the mirror. In the reflection she could see the huge bunch of red roses he had sent her. Why did she have to love him? Was it wrong for her to love him? How much longer could she keep him a secret from her best friend? She had never been a liar. Why start lying now? How long could this continue before she had to come clean? She did not want to hurt anyone.

Xanthe was two years older than her best friend Summer. They had been friends since they were kids. Since the day in the park when Xanthe sat sobbing on the swings. Her parents had divorced and left her with her Gran. Their new lives had no room for her. Summer was the only girl to ask her if she was OK. They had shared everything since then. They had helped each other through the best and worst times. How could she be lying to Summer? It was eating her up inside.

Summer's mother had died a year ago today. She needed Xanthe to be there for her tonight. They planned to have pizza, beer and a movie at Summer's place. Xanthe didn't mind. It was the least she could do for her friend. Summer had done the same for her when her Gran died when she was 18. The buzzing of her phone interrupted her thoughts. It was him, of course it had to be today.

"Can you meet me tonight? The usual place."

"OK but it won't be until 10pm" Xanthe replied.

"See you then. I need you Xanthe." he texted back.

Now she would have to leave Summer early. She was sure that Summer wold not begrudge her a date. She finished getting dressed and left for Summer's house. She hoped that Summer would not be too disappointed about her leaving early.

"That's OK Xanthe. We should get on with our lives. It's just hard for me today. I really miss Mum. I am glad you are here now. You should go on your date"

"Thank you Summer. You are so understanding."

"It's what we have always done for each other Xanthe. Is this the same guy as before?" Summer asked.

"Yes it is. I love him Summer" Xanthe replied. "Where is your Dad tonight?" she continued.

"He has gone to his usual drinking spot. I guess he is dealing with things his own way" Summer replied.

Xanthe ordered the pizza and Summer chose a movie.They sat on the couch together, ate pizza straight from the box and drank beer straight from the bottle. No plates or glasses required for this girls night. Time ticked by and it was time for Xanthe to leave. She hugged Summer tight and left for the Hotel.

"Thanks for being here Xanthe. Enjoy the rest of the night" Summer said.