Chapter: 21 Memories and The Truth

Chapter: 21

Altair's POV: 

The sun had already risen over the horizon and even though I wanted to leave once the sun hit its first peak. I decided to let her sleep a little more as her words from last night kept running through my mind. It seems that she has a lot to deal with and being on her own didn't help that attitude of hers at all, but seeing how vulnerable she was last night. It made me realized how much she had to struggle in this pitiful world of ours. The woman had surprised me and it certainly wasn't anything to gloat about, but it certainly was something to be surprised about.

With an eye-roll, I got up from where I was sitting and remember her being over by the horses last night. She looks so frustrated standing there and even though she was a tad vague last night. It was a difficult thing for her to open herself up. It seems that we had more in common than I had originally thought, but she was growing in ways that surprised me. She was becoming stubborn and headstrong, but she was strong. It was obvious with the way that she carries herself.

It was certainly something to be admirable about. A soft sigh escapes from my lips while I look away from the horses and back to her. Glancing up at the sky as we needed to get a move on, who knew by the late-night that she would be so tired that she would sleep in this late. It certainly was an interesting thing. Talking was never my strong subject, but I was trying. Malik may have rubbed off on me in some way. I blame him for this. I can't be soft. It was not in my nature to do so, but with this woman who irritates the crap out of me. Maybe, I can try.

I make no promises.

As I cross over to where she was laying down, I glance down at her while raising an eyebrow up at her as she stirred a little bit. Noticing how peaceful she look sleeping and the way that her dark hair was shining with the sunlight. Her tan skin looks soft and touchable. Kissable as well. I jolted myself out of those thoughts and shook my head vigorously as my cheeks began to warm up inconsiderably. 

I reach for her shoulder and began to shake her awake, "Kalila, it's time."

She stirred underneath me and as her hand was coming upwards in a striking motion, I was able to catch it while speaking in an irritable voice, "Kalila! It's me."

Her dark brown eyes look up at me as for a moment there, a very strong urge rush through me. The moment that her eyes met mine and the way that she looked sleepy and her lips parted. Her hand feels warm in mine as she grew more awake by the moment. Her voice was hoarse, "Altair?"

Was she expecting someone else? I wasn't entirely sure, but she jerks her hand away from mine. My cheeks burn as I push myself up onto my feet, "Come on, we don't have all day to waste."

I pick up my bedroll while making my way over to the horse while glancing over at her as she was giving me a look. I pause in my step while turning around to give her my attention, "Kalila?"

She sat up as her long hair cascaded over her shoulders and an urge rush through me to run my fingers through that hair of hers, but I didn't say anything at all. These thoughts were going to get me in trouble and not from her either. It was a foolish thing to even think about, but I waited for her. The woman got up from her bedroll, but she looks like she was out of it. Not even snapping at me at all for waking her up. That was uncharacteristic of her to do that.

As I was going to say her name again, she snapped at me, "Why are you just standing there? Let's go."

Now, there was the Kalila that I knew and know quite well with that attitude. A smirk spread across my lips, "Are you finally awake?"

"Of course I am, thanks to you." She retorted while storing her bedroll away before glancing back at me with an irritated expression.

"I could have left you sleeping." I pointed out to her while doing the same as she did before hoisting myself up into the saddle and she did the same thing as well.