Chapter: 16 An Assignment (Edited)

Chapter: 16

Altair's POV:

As Kalila was in the bathing room washing up after our session. I had seen another piece of her. Another piece that was part of her soul. An actual human being lay underneath that spiteful little girl and was a broken woman. It made me see something different in her and I didn't know what to think about that. I hate it when women cry in front of me as I didn't know what to do or what they wanted me to do. With Kalila, it was different. I don't know why, but I do know that. It was strange to think of that, but I did.

I had walked back to the main area of the building as he was there looking down at a piece of parchment. I was confused at first as I could read his expression quite clearly to see that he was troubled by the note that he had received. A soft sigh escapes from my lips as I didn't need another thing to happen, but everything always happens for a reason. So, I asked him, "What happened?"

He looks up at me as if surprised to see me, but he answered, "I have troubling news."

"And that is?" I asked him with a raised eyebrow up at him.

"It seems that the Templars are gathering again. I need you and Kalila to eavesdrop then come back to me with the information. You are capable of doing that with her, right?" He asked while giving me a dubious look as there was a deep frown on his lips. Something else was bothering him as well, but I didn't care enough to ask him about it.

"Of course, I am. I'm not incompetent." I snapped at him.

"Sometimes, I wonder if you are," Malik asked with a narrowed look at me.

I gave him a glaring look as I snapped, "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

Before Malik could say anything or me either, our eyes follow to the woman who enters the main room that we are in. Our eyes widen to see Kalila in the novice robes as we share a surprising look with each other. Kalila pause from braiding her long dark hair. Those dark brown eyes of hers weren't held with anger or guarded. They had a dull expression in them, but I could see that something within her had changed. Whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, that still has not yet come to pass.

Kalila gave us a confused look while asking in a spiteful tone, "What are two looking at?"

Maybe, I wrong about something changing within her. Malik only grins while answering, "You, of course."

Kalila only rolled her eyes at him, but there was actual amusement in her eyes. The faintest quirk of a smirk etching onto her lips except it was gone like that. "Yes, I know I look ridiculous in these robes."

"No. You don't." I blurt out before I could stop myself from saying it.

Kalila was surprised as Malik was as well. Now, I was snapping, "What?"

They both shook their heads as I caught a warm look from her. That was a warm look as she gazes at me with a certain softness. That I felt my cheeks burn and felt awkward. So, thankfully, she ended up changing the subject, "What were you two arguing about before I came into the room?" She went back to finishing her braid as she flipped it back as it cascades down her back.

Malik answered, "We weren't arguing. I have an assignment for you guys to do."

"Oh?" She rose an eyebrow up at Malik while waiting for what he will be saying.

"You guys will be eavesdropping on a Templar meeting going on in the merchant market. It is busy and there is a lot of noise. You guys can easily hide in plain sight there as well. I am pretty they will be in the bazaar, but I am not sure. So, you can check there too. All my informant got me was that there will be a Templar Meeting going down and I need you guys to check it out." Malik explains to us while wearing a thoughtful expression on his face.

"So, this will be my first real assignment then?" Kalila asked him with a wary look and one of her hands on her hip.

A smirk spread across my lips while I muttered softly, "Novice."

That earned me an elbow in the ribs as she glared at me and I only gave her a smug expression. Malik chuckled a little as her cheeks grew to a rosy color, "Yes, this will actually be your first real assignment with Altair. Pairs are always better than one. Well, most of the time."

I only shook my head, but I didn't say anything. Kalila was the one that did ask Malik, "When do we leave?"

Malik smirk at her, "Now."

*(*

Kalila's POV:

It wasn't long before we were out of there and heading in the direction of where this Templar meeting was being held. I follow after Altair and look around. Somehow everything felt different than it was. It was like I was growing in ways that I didn't realize that I was. With a deep breath, I managed to keep up with Altair even though it seems that he was trying to lose me on purposely. He had another thing coming and that wasn't me being the slow person here. Even if I was becoming breathless. I was still keeping up with him.

I kept following him as it was silent between us for now, but it was all right with me. I took in our surroundings as we were beginning to enter the market area. It was becoming busier, but Altair had slow down and now we were walking normally. We move through the people and gently moving them out the way. Altair mostly did the shoving, but somehow we still made it the middle of the bazaar. He looks around as I did as well. Taking in my surroundings. The many merchants that were here and something seem to be bothering me. Was I here before? As I started to get distracted and walk away from Altair, he grabbed my arm firmly and pulled me back to him.

"Where are you going?" He asked me.

My eyes look behind me and I shook his arm off while answering, "Nowhere." I spoke to him while asking him, "Do you have a clue where they are?"

Altair looks at me a little more with a scrutinizing look and before I could snap at him, he decided to answer me, "No. Not yet. At least keep to my side will you..."

"I am sorry, but last I remember I am a human being with my own free will." I snapped at him.

He only gave me a smirk before walking forward and I only huffed as this man was annoying. Irritating and everything else that could describe his awful personality. With a deep sigh, I move forward as well. Where was he going now? I didn't know, but all I did was follow him. My eyes have taken in my surroundings and for some reason. It felt like I was here before. Before I could make a connection, Altair had stopped in his tracks and I ended up running into him. My mouth opens up, but before I could get anything out of it. A hand had clasp against my mouth and Altair was moving us into a crowd. I grabbed his hand and pulled it away from my mouth, but then I saw the Templar's entering a building.

Altair motion for me to follow him which isn't surprising considering I have been following him all day. With a hand on my hip, I gesture for him to go. He only rolled his eyes, but he scaled a wall while going upwards. I shook my head, but I follow him as well and by the time that I reach the rooftop. My arms were aching and my shoulder was screaming at me.

My shoulder was in pain away and as I try to heave myself onto the rooftop. My hand slipped and I started falling backward, but I wasn't falling anymore. A soft gasping sound escapes from my lips as I look up to see Altair had caught me. He pulled me up with ease as he sat me down on the rooftop while asking me, "Are you all right?"

My shoulder was throbbing and my arms felt shaky. It had been a while since I had scale a wall. I nodded my head while speaking, "Yes. I'm fine."

Altair nodded his head, "Then let's get going. We are burning daylight by sitting here and doing nothing. I shook my head as I couldn't believe him. In a way, I can because he is an arse. A straight-up arse. Pain in the butt. I push myself up onto my feet as we cross over to a secret hatch on top of the roof. Altair had already broken the lock as we file down into the darkness one by one.

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?

Sorry for the wait fellow readers!

Thank you! :D