Chapter: 20 A Midnight Talk (Edited)

Chapter: 20

Kalila's POV: 

Night had fallen as the stars had come out shining brightly in the midnight sky. Things were quiet for now and it was a little bit cold out considering the fire pit was nothing, but embers. The silence was a little bit unnerving at the moment. Laying there underneath this vast open space and knowing my partner was sleeping across from me. My eyes went over to his form and watch as his chest had a slow rhythm. Knowing that he was sleeping soundly and it was tempting to look underneath that hood of his again, but I know better than to do that. 

For some reason, sleep had eluded me tonight and it doesn't seem that it will happen any time soon either. With a deep sigh that escapes from my lips, once I had rolled onto my back and stare up into the endless dark sky. Contemplating on what to do as I glance over at the man who was sleeping peacefully and ran my fingers through the dark strands. Before realizing that I needed a scrub down, but that was out of the question especially out here. There wasn't anything out here that had water or some crazy pond-like thing. Everything was nothing, but dunes and mountains. Some greenery was spotted now and then.

Things were a little bit dangerous out especially with the sun and how warm it gets as well. The night was cool and very chilly as well. At least it was clear skies and nothing out the usual either. Slowly, I sat up from laying down and look around before making a decision. I look over at Altair seeing that he was still sleeping peacefully. At least one of us was getting some sleep, I push myself to my feet. I stretch my muscles out and yawned. With careful steps, I made my way from the campsite that we had set up

Walking over to the horses and the saddlebags, only to make sure that we had all the things that we needed. With a soft sigh that escapes from my lips, I didn't really know what to do at this point. I needed to go to sleep, but that wasn't going to happen. I don't know what was keeping me awake tonight. Was it the fact that I was returning home? Back to the place where it had started and now, I will find a closure to this. Hopefully, these dreams will guide me to what I am looking for. Dreaming of a weird symbol as well as I lean against the horse while sighing softly.

Thinking of what could wait for me back at my home and it could be for nothing too. This entire trip could hold nothing for them, but an empty house and that was it. What was I supposed to think about all of this? I don't know. I guess I am nervous about returning to where everything had started. I raise my head from the horse while going back to the task that I was doing. My eyes look over at where Altair was but to my surprised. His spot was empty and I took a double look. Altair wasn't there anymore. Where was he? 

Someone tapped my shoulder and before I could scream bloody murder. A person's hand cover my mouth as I felt a strong chest behind me. Comforting warmth flooded over me as a sleepy voice whispered against my ear, "Let's not startle the horses, all right?" 

Relief washes over me while my body relaxes itself knowing who had me. He releases me immediately as I turn around to face him. Underneath that hood of his, his eyes were visible this time and I could see how tired he was. He blinks a couple of times before asking in that sleepy voice of his as it held some irritation there too, "What are you doing awake?" 

Before I could answer, he had glanced over at me and then over to my bedroll as it was quite messy again. Holding up his hand to me before answering in a much quieter voice, "You couldn't sleep, could you?"

With a slow shake of my head, his eyes soften and his entire body relaxes as well. Breathing out softly while I look away from me, "All I did was toss and turn. Sleep had eluded me."

He nodded his head, "It's nerves. I can tell it has been a while since you have returned, right?"

I nodded my head, "Yes. It has."

He gave a dubious look as he opens his mouth, but close it once more. Pondering his thoughts as I watch him. As he does that, I turn around and close the saddlebag that I had been rifling through. With a deep breath that escapes from my lips, I turn around to face him once more. Locking eyes with him as he closes the distance with a hestiant step, as he raises his hand while taking a strand of my long hair and twirl it around his finger. My heart skipping a beat as his dark eyes met my own once more.

"There are many ways to tired oneself out especially with something on their mind." He spoke in a vague tone, but his eyes held a very unknown emotion that sparks a fire inside of me. A burning feeling washing over me as it felt like I couldn't breathe at all. He stood there with an inquisitive look as his eyes narrow in a thoughtful manner.

"What do you mean?" I asked him in a breathless tone.

As if concluding, he stepped away from me with an annoyed look on his face. Shaking his head before speaking once more, "Never mind." 

Were his cheeks actually turning red? I blink in surprise, but I felt my own burning from his touch and his words that had sparked something deep within me. It was a new feeling, but I walk away from him. He called out to me, "Where are you going?"

I didn't answer him as I walk back over to the campsite and he follows after me as well, "I am going to try to go to sleep." Knowing that it was a foolish idea to even try, but they had a long trip ahead of them. She was going to be exhausted as well.

"Look, Kalila..." The way that he had said my name seem foreign on his tongue as I look over at him with a surprised expression. He never had spoken my name at all and to know that he was trying now. It made my lips twitch in amusement as I look away from him. He continued, "Do you want to talk about it?"

The way that he asks that question made me actually smile for once and it was clear that he was annoyed as well. "Well, answer me! Don't just stand there."

I had to look away from him again while biting my lower lip, but ponder his question as well. While sitting down and looking up at him, I open my mouth, "What is there to talk about it? I was an orphan as a child by Templars as you guys well known." 

He nodded his head while taking a seat as well while bringing up his knees in a sitting position. Leaning his elbows on his knees with his hands in the middle, his fingers barely touching. He asked me, "Is there more than that?"

Shrugging my shoulders as I furrow my brows in concentration while speaking, "I don't honestly know. My memories aren't very clear..."

He nodded his head again, "You were a child that experiences a terrible thing that had happened to her."

"Speaking from experience?" I asked in return.

Immidately, he pursues his lips in a tight frown while looking away from him. After a moment or two, he spoke, "Something like that." He shrugged at that as well and I nodded my head in return as well. There were certain things that he didn't want to talk about either and after that, we settle into silence. It felt a little better to be able to share something with him and even feel like we had achieved some level of trust or even standing to be around each other as well. 

Maybe, I could lay down now and go to sleep. I do feel tired now and exhausted as well. It was strange how little conversation can go quite far and even feel tired as well. As if seeing it as well, Altair spoke up, "Lay down. Get some rest."

I nodded my head while laying down once more on my bedroll and Altair did the same thing as well. Once we were settled down again, I thought about his brief touch before closing my eyes. Finally, sleep was able to claim tonight and take me away for a little bit to recharge myself before morning hit us again. Darkness took me away into m dreams that remind me of what I was looking for tomorrow. 

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you! :D