Chapter Thirty Eight

Ollyum - Crashing Waves District, Brentwood Home

Ebony flashed her teeth in a tight smile toward Velle Brentwood as she spoke of the new improvements being made by the new high council.  She attempted to make her disdain of the conversation obvious by rolling her eyes and making snide remarks.

This was her and Jacob's sixth time in two weeks meeting with them and just as Jacob had predicted they continued to test their loyalties. Sipping the bitter apple cider Roxanne had poured Ebony tried not to look directly toward a potted lily that held a small surveillance camera.  She always tried to ignore the little ear buds.

"Can I ask you more about your job with the Alliance Police," Velle asked politely staring at her from beneath her blue eyelashes.  The calculation in her silver eyes was obvious to anyone that bothered to look.

Ebony flinched when she felt Jacob tense beside her. "There is nothing spectacular about my position.  I am in charge of reviewing names that is all."

"You make such a classified and elite position sound so dull.  You should feel invigorated to have such power," came Arthur's snide reply.

Ebony shook her head and looked worriedly at Jacob giving his leg a small rub, "It's a job to help us in a society that puts more emphasis on wealth and status then knowledge."   Waving a hand she continued, "I work so that we can save for our children's higher education at the Jigu Academy."

Jacob removed her hand as if upset and gave her a disgruntled look.  They had modified their cover after Saia had decode several communications sent to Author and his family.

Thomas O'Mallory, the person identified as funding Arthur's research, didn't trust them because they seemed too content with their lives and each other.  Jacob and Ebony had modify their roles in accordance.  

It was decided Jacob would play the disgruntled husband that disliked that his wife had obtained an elite position while he had needed to use her family's name to get the low level position at the school. As soon as they began the act Arthur had encouraged it during their daily teas.

The more her position expanded, the more Jacob became vocal.  Three weeks ago Anthony had suggested that he become slightly abusive toward her to show an acceleration in their discord.  He'd stated that it was such a faux pas that it would see immediate results.

A new nightly routine started: Jacob would arrive home, they'd eat dinner as a family, and they’d read to their children before putting them to bed.  When alone they'd argue in their bedroom, he'd fake becoming abusive using his body to block the cameras, they'd always have make-up sex then go to sleep only to repeat the farce the very next day. They always put on a pleasant front outside the home but made sure that they appeared strained when no one was supposed to be watching.

Within days they could see the farce was working.  Arthur and Velle had started inviting them over more often and started to speak less formally.

"You both seem tense." Everyone's eyes turned toward Roxanne, she flipped her emerald green hair and pointed at them. "It's obvious Cassie's family name is how Jason got his position,” looking at Jacob she winked. "You should be thankful that she was able to get you a job anywhere."  She gave Ebony an evil smile before looking toward the arm Jacob had grabbed and left the illusion of a bruise that morning.

Ebony shook her head pretending what Roxanne said wasn't true; while Jacob looked angrily toward her.

"I-I'm sorry," stuttered Ebony quickly placing her hands and her lap wringing them.  "You are very mistaken.  Jason got the position at the school on his own."