Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Palace Cafe

Jacob smiled sickeningly sweet at Arturo as he looked at the man's flush and drunken face.  Jacob pointed to an empty chair and bared his teeth in a smile, "Have a seat.  Ebony and I were just discussing a job I have available."

Arturo plopped down unceremoniously in a chair and glared at Ebony, "Why would you and he be discussing a job?"  Arturo reached for her as he growled, "I told you -"

Jacob waved a hand and Arturo's head slammed into the table. "You are not allowed to do that," he warned.

Arturo raised his head and nodded toward Jacob as he rubbed at the sore spot.  Angrily he glared toward Ebony, "What exactly is the job you have accepted from his lordship."

Jacob cocked his head at him before he answered "You needn't worry about that.  Ebony's position doesn't require your presence nor am I overly fond of it.  I believe you should return to Mizu and await word from her."

Arturo licked his thick lips as he could hear the royals as they rolled in, "And if I decide to settle here with Ebony and her daughter -"

Jacob's smile tightened, "Isn't Kayo your child also."

Arturo waved a hand at the question and he slurred, "She is mine but of no use to me at this time."

Jacob cocked a brow to this, "That's interesting.  She is about the same age as my friend’s children and I believe they'd like a playmate.  Does that make her of more value to you?"

Arturo turned to look at Jacob, "Are you speaking of the heir apparent and those two girls?"

Jacob wanted to kill him immediately.  With a sneer he sat forward in the chair, "Does it matter which child she amuses."

Arturo could see his death in Jacob's eyes and wondered if he had pushed him to the limits of his good will.  Quickly he nodded so low his head thumbed against the table, "It would be an honor for our daughter to play with the Sinclair children."

Jacob smirked at him, "I thought it would be."  He swung his eyes to Ebony as he rose, "Stop by my home office before you retire for the evening so that we can discuss your position in detail."  At Ebony's nod he turned to Arturo, "I don't expect to see you again without Kayo."  When Arturo went to speak he continued, "Leave today on the transport for Mizu and return within two weeks with her."  He exited the alcove and went to the server to make sure the bill was paid before he left.

----

Ebony plucked at her dress as she realized her and Arturo were the center of attention  with Jacob gone.  Ebony rose to leave the cafe before Arturo could cause another scene.  Quickly she nodded to the server and hurried out with the hope that he would follow suit.

Instead Arturo relaxed as he was left alone in the exclusive restaurant.   He called loudly for the server and started to wave until he came over, "Is Lord Jacob taking care of the bill?"

The waiter stared at Arturo as if he were a disgrace of a man and shook his head, "His Grace took care of the bill on his departure."

Arturo sneered as he mocked the waiter,  "His Grace!  Well add the most expensive bottle of port to the bill and a meal fit for King Isaiah Sinclair."

Oliver stared at the man as if he were crazy and walked away.  He pressed a few buttons on his hand held to place the order and alert Lucas of the new charges to the bill.

-----

Inside the Palace

Lucas stared down at his device as Jacob walked into their new shared offices.  With a frown he turned it toward Jacob,  "Why did you order the most expensive bottle of port and the king's feast and tell the server to charge it to me?"