Chapter One

Chapter One

Ah'Taria, Gold District - The Palace

Kayla twirled around the room her long blue summer dress bellowed around her ankles as she laughed at her reflection.

"You seem happy,” remarked Lucas as he and Jacob walked into their rooms.

Kayla stopped and stared at him excitedly, "I'm meeting Ebony at the Golden Palace Café this afternoon."

Lucas frowned as he watched her glide around the room, "Will it only be Ebony or is her husband joining you?"

Kayla stopped to cock her head and stare at Lucas, "Why would it matter?"

Lucas smiled tightly, "Jacob and I will be joining you."

Kayla brow knitted together as she watched Lucas carefully.  "Why would you want to join Ebony and me?"

Lucas extended his hands to Kayla. He folded her in his embrace and kissed her forehead before he replied, "Because I said I wanted to join you."

Kayla frowned darkly at him, "If that is what you want."  She shrugged as she walked pass him, "Good afternoon Jacob."  With those words she stormed out of the room.

Jacob chuckled at the rigid posture Kayla had adopted, "You could have just said you didn't want her to go alone in case Arturo was there."

Lucas stared coldly at his wife's back, "She needs to learn not to question my wishes." After they'd followed behind Kayla he sighed inwardly before he glowered at the Jacob, "Stop smirking before I rip your lips off.  And I admit I may should have said that to her instead."

Jacob laughed, "The joys of being married." 

Lucas waved his hand and tripped Jacob before he gave him a dirty look, "I can't wait for you to feel my joy."

Jacob sobered at Lucas's scowl and mumbled, "More like pains."

Kayla ignored them as she strolled regally toward the café that stood just outside the gates of the palace.  As entered her eyes scanned the room until she saw Ebony's head peak out of an alcove.  Kayla called Ebony's name and waved enthusiastically as she walked toward her.

*****

Leaftree Inn, Bronze District,  Ah'Taria,

Earlier that day

Ebony stared out the small window of the tiny hotel room she and Arturo shared.  She attempt to ignore his latest rant about their monetary situation as she prepared to leave.

"Are you listening to me," he yelled as he roughly grabbed her arm and pulled her around to face him.  "I shouldn't have to be telling you this Ebony."

Ebony took a deep breath as stared blankly at him. She closed her eyes and tried to remember he had Kayo, her precious baby,  hidden somewhere on Mizu.   "I don't know what you expect me to do, Art."  She snatched her arm from his painful grip, "Jacob Lawson isn't someone that you should take lightly." With defiant glare she laughed without humor, "I want nothing to do with him or Lucas Sinclair."

Arturo grabbed Ebony and shook her before he pushed her into the small wooden chair. "How can you say that," yelled Arturo as he stepped in front of her and pulled her head back by her hair. He raised his hand to strike her but lowered it with a sneer.

"You are to meet Lady Kayla I can send you with bruises on your face," snarled Arturo as he walked toward the hidden compartment that held beverages.   He reached in and retrieved a bottle of wine, "Do you not realize what Lord Jacob can do for us!  The royals alone that he'd shower on you is staggering.  I would reap the benefits of you -"