Chapter 21: What Kind Of Favour?

UPDATED CHAPTER 20,21,22  read in order.

KAYLA

"Hi sweetheart."

I woke up to my mother stroking my hair. "Good morning mum."

"C'mon I made you breakfast." She said as she stood up from my bed to go downstairs.

I did my bed and ran downstairs. My father was reading the newspaper with my mother sitting on the opposite side eating pancakes. I sat down beside my mum.

My mum passed me a plate of pancakes. "Here."

"Thanks."

I took a bite from my pancake.

"Kayla?"

I looked at my dad who stopped reading the newspaper. "Yeah?"

"Why did you leave us?" He asked.

I put down my fork. "W-what?"

"Why did you leave us that night?" He said.

"W-what night?" I asked.

"The night of the apocalypse." My mother said who was now staring at me.

"I-I d-"

"WHY DID YOU LEAVE US KAYLA!" My parents said in unison.

"I didn't leave you! You left me! I was alone in that house when I woke up!" I said now starting to cry.

"WHY DID YOU LEAVE US! WHY DID YOU LEAVE US!" My parents said repeating the words over and over again as their face morphed into a Bloodling.

I covered my ears. "This is not real, this is not real." I repeated.

"Kayla, Kayla wake up!"

My eyes flutter open to see I was back in the room at the apartment, crying in my bed with Zach shaking my shoulders.

"Z-Zach?"

He hugged me. "It was just a nightmare."

I cried harder. "It f-felt so real."

"Shh, it's okay I'm here now."

I hugged him back. "It w-was my parents, Zach." I sniffed. "I left them, I killed them, I should've looked for them."

"Shh, it's not your fault." He hugged me tighter.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still hugging him.

"I heard you crying."

I looked outside the window. "Wh-what time is i-it?"

"6 something."

I couldn't hold back my tears and started crying again. "I don't even know what happened to them or where they went."

He let go of our hug. "Kayla it's  not your fault." He tucked my hair behind my ear.

I stared at his beautiful brown eyes. "I'm scared."

"I know." He held my hand. "Get some sleep Kayla." He stood up but I grabbed his hand.

"Wait." I said.

He looked at me.

I stared somewhere else not meeting his gaze. "Can you stay? I don't think I can go to bed."

He smiled. "Sure." He walked to the other side of the bed and laid back on top of my blanket facing  the other side.

It was quiet.