Chapter 26

After breezing through a couple more simple questions about Amira and Harry, I found myself raveled up in the beautiful creation that was, Harry Styles. 

"Pizza or Chinese?" I went for the latter option, and she smiled brightly in agreement. She reached over for her phone, and began to dial a couple numbers before heading towards the kitchen. We had decided to binge watch This Is Us, while we waited for Harry to return. It's been 3 hours, and he hasn't called anything, and I couldn't help but fill with worry. 

Amira came bouncing into the living room and plopped next to me on the couch, her teeth flashing brightly, "Food should be here in 25 minutes." My stomach growled in anticipation. 

"Hey, have you heard from Harry yet?" Before she could respond, my phone started ringing and I wrinkled my eyebrows in confusion seeing Hazel's name flash across the screen.

"Hey, Hazel, what's up?" Hazel began to mumble a bunch of incoherent words, as she rambled quickly, panting heavily. 

"Hazel, I don't understand a thing you're saying. You need to slow down." I spoke slowly, and tried to counter her panic voice with a calm and reasonable one. 

"It's Harry! He's been shot! Get to the hospital on Lane!" With those words, I quickly threw my phone down and grabbed Amira's arm heading outside. My heart began to beat wildly, as I realized I didn't drive here.

"Do you have a car?" She looked at me confused, before nodding and pointing towards the Black Convertible was parked across the street. 

"I don't drive-" I cut her off quickly.

"Amira, Harry was shot. I need the k-" Before I could finish, she quickly ran inside the house and returned seconds later with the keys dangling in her hand. Tossing me the keys, we both ran towards the car, and I drove us to the hospital. 

Neither of us spoke, as we ran in the hospital, where Hazel was pacing back and forth in front of the front desk. When she spotted me, she ran towards me and I quickly took notice of her bruised face, and busted lip that was now laced with dried blood. 

"He's in the room! They won't let me see him, because I'm not a famil-" Amira quickly darted from our side, and went towards the front desk, where they pointed her down the hall. She turned back towards me hesitating, before I shoo'd her away with my hand. She smiled at me sadly, and turned running down the hall. 

My face was hot, and my eyes were stinging with tears. Hazel wrapped her arms around me, and I realized she was shaking. She pulled back slowly, and her eyes were filled to the brim with tears. 

"It's my fault, Rae!" I shook my head, refusing to let her blame herself for what, without a doubt, Xavier and his goons did. 

"He wasn't supposed to get shot! It was supposed to be me!" My body froze at her words, as I looked at her with confusion and shock. 

"Hazel, what happened?" 

A small sob escaped her lips, "Harry took that bullet for me." 

Before I could press her for more details, a relieved Amira, with tear stains on her face, came around the corner with a broken smile. "He wants to see you."

~

 My hands were shaking as I walked into the hospital room. Harry's face was pale, and he was connected to a bunch of wires. The same ones my mom were connected to before she died, and the thought made my stomach flip with fear. He slowly turned his head towards me, and I noticed his eyes were dull and tired. 

"Hey." my lips trembled as I walked towards him, and wrapped my arms gently around his torso. He rubbed my hair with one of his hands soothing me, as if I was the one in pain. 

After a few moments I looked up at him through tear filled eyes, "Hi." I was unable to stop my voice from cracking, and he caressed my cheek. 

Before he could speak, he closed his eyes tightly and grimaced in pain. I hurried and rose to my feet checking him over, and he groaned deeply. 

"I'll be okay." He whispered, trying to reassure me. 

"I'm so sorry this happened to you, Harry." He gave what sounded like a chuckle, before grabbing my hand rubbing the back of it gently calming me slightly. How he was able to affect me in such a way, I had no idea. 

"Sorry that it happened, or sorry that you weren't the one to pull the trigger?" He tried to joke, but I didn't find the situation funny at all. 

"Harry, I'm serious. You are brave for what you did for Hazel." He looked shocked momentarily, as if he hadn't expected her to tell me. 

"Why'd you do it?" 

He looked straight forward across the room, preventing me from making any eye contact with him, "She reminds me of Amira. Both of them had their lives taken from them, and never had the chance to grow up how they should. I didn't see Hazel standing there in that moment. I saw my little sister." I squeezed his hand tightly, and leaned forward pressing my lips on his forehead letting them linger there before pulling away slowly. 

"I need you to get better, Harry. Don't die on me." 

He chuckled before looking back up at me, staring into my eyes. "And why not?"

In that moment, I knew Harry. I knew why he was such an asshole all the time, and I knew why he was so guarded. I knew his pain, and I knew his struggles. I knew he had a heart; a big one, that wanted nothing more than to love and be loved. 

I smiled softly seeing his eyes lighten up a bit. My heart swelled as I recalled the words he told me at the diner.  

"Because, I have a feeling that you're the type of person people fall in love with." 

~