Chapter 25

Her words shocked me, and I stared at her my mouth open until she tilted her head back laughing. She slapped her knee, as she closed my mouth with one of her hands staring at me with joy in her eyes. 

"So, no questions?" I shook my head, coming out of my daze before thinking of a soft question to start off with. 

"How are you and Harry related?" I asked, truthfully curious. They looked alike, but you could see the obvious differences. Her dark brown eyes were a weird contrast to his bright green ones, and the two completely different accents threw me off. 

She started laughing and gave me a bright smile, "The accent is fake." My confusion grew, and before I could speak she started speaking again except in the same British accent Harry had. "Harry sent me off to live in Australia for a while, until I was able to perfectly mimic their accent. That way if anyone ever did catch us together; I could pretend to be a friend or something, and the accent would make it believable." She nodded and spoke plainly as if it was something so simple.

"Woah, next thing you're going to tell me is that your eyes are fake too." I giggled jokingly, before she was staring at me with a straight face. 

"They are!" She exclaiming happily, before quickly sliding out the brown contacts revealing her bright green eyes. "He went to extreme measures to keep me safe from everything bad in the world." 

I nodded understanding, it was nice seeing the protective side of Harry. It showed that he didn't only guard himself, but others as well. 

I braced myself for the harshness of the next question, "Where are your parents?" 

Instead of getting angry at me for asking such a personal question, Amira kept her sweet smile on her face; not phased at all by what I asked. 

"We don't know. We woke up one morning, and they were gone. All of their stuff packed and gone." I gasped in horror and pity. "They didn't leave us with any type of explanation. No sappy goodbye note. They wiped the house clean of anything that would prove they were once there. It was like we never had parents to begin with." Her voice was plain. It didn't hold any form of anger or sadness. It was almost as if she had programmed herself to not be hurt by the situation.

I couldn't find the words to respond. How could anyone up and leave their children? My heart broke at the memory of my mom, who had to leave me unwillingly, and how much it hurt me. Then here are Harry and Amira, whose parents left them on their own choice. They chose not to be parents anymore. No one should have to be forced to go without parents. No one. They don't even know why there parents left them. I felt sick to my stomach with anguish and pain for the two siblings. 

All of a sudden a quiet chuckle escaped the girl's lips, "It's weird. It's my first time openly talking about my parents. That day when we realized they were gone, we didn't say anything. We just went on with our lives, as if they never existed. We never talked about it, not even to each other. Anytime I almost couldn't handle the pressure of everything, Harry would carry some of my weight. He never let me bury myself in the pain of their absence. He became my parents in a way." Her eyes glittered with respect and love for her brother, but in that moment I could see the exact resemblance of the two. You could see how broken they were, simply by looking in their eyes. They were both so painfully strong, it made my chest ache. 

"I'm sorry, Amira. You didn't deserve that." She simply laughed it off, her smile never faltering. 

"Ah, it's okay. Like they say, the worst things in life come free to us," She looked down, and I could see her lip twitch as she fought to keep the smile on her face. 

"Anyways, next question?" I nodded quickly thinking of something that would ease the tension.

"How old are you?" 

She giggled child like, "16." She did not look her age at all. She was forced to grow up faster than anyone else. 

"How old is Harry?" 

"20. He'll be turning 21 soon actually, next month on the 4th. Might want to get prepared for that." She winked playfully, before bursting out in a fit of laughter. 

After hearing the story of her parents, it was obvious why this girl was so uplifting and nice. She hides her pain with laughter. I began to play with my fingers, trying to figure out how to phrase the question I wanted to ask. 

"I was 8." I looked up slowly and she once again had that little small smile on her face. "Harry, though being only 12, had to find a way to make money. And yes, that's how he came in the hands of Xavier." Her eye glinted with anger, the first true emotion she ever portrayed to me besides the fake happiness and the real joy. 

"He tried regular jobs. None of them ever paid enough to keep up with the rent, clothes,- and fo-food." She coughed quickly, as her bottom lip began to tremble. "I was so hungry. All the time. We didn't have any food, just some cans of soup. He always gave me half of his bowl. It was never enough. I blame myself all the time for why he is in the situation he's in now. If only I could've went a little longer without food." 

My heart was banging against my chest. This poor girl. I quickly leaned forward wrapping my arms around her tightly. I kept preparing myself for her heart breaking sobs, but they never came. Not even a sniffle. I felt a tear slide down my cheek, realizing she was afraid to let her self cry. 

"It's okay to cry, Amira." I whispered, as I tightened my arms around her as if I could ease her hurt with my hugs. 

"I know," She laughed softly, "It's just..if I start crying," A hiccup escaped her lips, "I'm afraid I'll never stop." So, she didn't. She kept years and years of tears locked up, and tightened her arms around me. 

She pulled back with a grateful smile across her lips, her green eyes still dry, "Thank you Raelynn." I nodded, smiling back at her. 

"Next question?" She giggled, easing the tension and I laughed with her. 

"Um, has Harry ever had a girlfriend before?" She shook her head quickly side to side, before a wild grin stretched across her face. 

"He never bothered with commitments. Sure, he's had a couple of one night stands, but no one has ever stayed over before." At this, if it was even possible, her smile grew.

"You're the first."