Chapter 10

I drag myself into the house, where all the lights were off except for the kitchen light which my dad stood under. "I see you finally chose to come home." His voice was stern, more worried than angry. I sighed and sat down in a chair awaiting the lecture that was bound to happen.

"I'm sorry. I didn't even realize how late it was." Honesty laced my words. It didn't even seem like I was gone for long, but as I peeked at my phone I noticed it was now 1am.

 He shook his head rubbing his temples, "Ever since we moved here you've been acting different. I'm used to you leaving the house all the time, but you usually come back happy with a story to tell."

 I looked up at him guilt forming in the pit of my stomach. "You're not happy here, and I want to know why."

I debated telling him the truth, but couldn't think of anything good that would come of it. "I'm happy here, dad. It's just I haven't found anything exciting yet." 

He looked at me as if trying to see if I was being honest with him. "I got a job." I said softly, trying to lift the mood.

The corners of his mouth tilted upwards into his famous smile, "Really? That was quick. Where at?" 

I smiled back at him, "It's a diner a couple streets down called Tasty. I start tomorrow. " He made a weird face when I said the name of the Diner, "Generic, I know." We laughed momentarily, before his face became serious again.

"I'm serious though, Rae. The moment you feel uncomfortable or sad here let me know, and we'll catch a flight somewhere else. The company will have to just manage." 

I nodded showing him I understood, and he sighed, "Now head upstairs and get some sleep princess."

 I stood up and walked over to him kissing his cheek, "I love ya dad." 

His smile deepened, "I love you too princess."

After I took a shower and got ready for bed, I got my phone off the dresser and texted Hazel.

Rae: Thx for looking out for me 2nite sry I was being an idiot

I got situated on my bed, waiting for her to text me back. I unconsciously found myself thinking about Harry. Why did he hate me so much? I know I could have been a bit nicer when I first met him, but he flat out hates me. This whole thing was happening so quickly.

My mind then wandered off to Jason, and how sweet and funny he was. He and Harry were complete opposites, but Hazel said they were both no good. I couldn't see Jason being rude in any form. He must be guilty by association, right? A sudden buzz from my phone cut my thoughts short.

Hazel: u r ok just stop being a dumbass & listen when i tell u 2 gnite sunshine

I snickered at her 'sunshine' comment, before telling her goodnight as well. I laid down and thought about Hazel's phone conversation about how she was being forced to fight. I told myself that eventually I would ask her about it all, but for right now I needed to go to sleep.