Chapter 1

I watched as my step mother, Nani, rambled on the phone about something concerning one of her fashion projects. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a tight bun that sat like a donut on the top of her head. Her black maxi dress clung to her like a second skin, and her face was painted beautifully.

 I pulled at a strand of my jet black, wavy, hair that was uneven and fell in messy curls down to my waist. I got all my physical features from my dad, and my attitude and wit from my birth mom. She looked at me and I tapped my naked wrist implying that we needed to get to the airport. This was our 8th move, and it was across the country to Connecticut where my Dad's company relocated.

"Listen, I don't care how long it takes. I need those packages delivered to that address as soon as possible. I'm done speaking on the matter." Nani's sweet face was scrunched up into a frown, as she slammed her phone onto the table. She glanced over at me and her frown only deepened, "What do you have on Raelynn?"

I quickly looked down at my black skinny jeans and loose white t-shirt, "What's wrong with it?" I questioned pulling at my shirt. "It's comfortable. It's a pretty long flight you know?"

She winced in disgust, "Go put on that white dress I bought you yesterday. You don't know who could be on that plane." I groaned yet went and dug through my bags fishing out the white long sleeve dress with the back cut out. I quickly slid it on my body, and ran my hands through my hair. I turned towards her and she smiled, "There, now you look like you could be my daughter."

I turned away so she wouldn't see how her words affected me. I didn't mind Nani, she was great when she wasn't in "perfect" mode. Yet anytime she mentioned me being her daughter my stomach flipped, and tears burned my eyes at the memory of my real mom. I coughed to cover the awkward silence, "I'll be in the car." She simply nodded, her fingers moving quickly on her phone.

I reached the car and my smile stretch wide, "Dad!" I wrapped my arms around him and he squeezed me tightly.

 "Hey princess, you look lovely as usual. But you do know it's a pretty long flight right?"

 I chuckled and threw 2 bags into the trunk, "Yeah, yeah tell Nani that." His melodious laugh followed me as I slid into the back seat.

My dad had black wavy hair, and was built well. He was the funniest person I ever got the chance to meet. He was all into electronics, and made a lot of money off of it. He and Nani met our 4th move to South Dakota, and got engaged a year later. I tried hating her, but she wasn't bad at all. Besides her obsession with fashion and looking perfect, Nani was honestly a good person. She, besides myself, was the only person who made my dad happy after my mother's death.

"You ready for this Rae?" I looked up at him and smiled, "As ready as I'll ever be."

Author's note: Image above is Raelynn.