Chapter 2

I felt someone pushing against my shoulder, and groaned as I stretched out my limbs. "We're here, princess." My eyes bulged out my head, as I sat up quickly hurrying out the car as I looked around. 

Unlike most people I loved moving, it was exciting to see new people and new places. However I wasn't sure about this move. The streets were empty, and the air was murky. It was a little chilly, and no one was outside. The only proof that there was life was a dog that was barking tied up to a tree.

"Um dad, where is everybody?" I turned towards him with confusion written all over my face.

 He chuckled slinging his arm over my shoulder flashing a grin at the empty neighborhood, "Not everywhere we move is going to be exciting Rae." 

I scoffed and crossed my arms, "Duh I know that, but this place is literally empty." 

He patted my back encouragingly, "Eh you'll get used to it kid." I nodded only because I didn't feel like arguing the fact that I would not get used to it, because we'd be on the move again once I got settled.

We headed to the house where Nani was fumbling with the key, "Ugh Tony can you get this. I got the case of butterfingers here." I giggled along with her as my dad easily unlocked the door and stepped aside for us to head in. 

The house was bigger on the inside than on the outside most definitely. The walls were painted a vibrant red, and it was already furnished with beautiful furniture and paintings.

"Ya girls like it? It's the biggest house in the neighborhood. I had it furnished last week." My dad walked towards the kitchen, and opened the fridge and a couple cabinets. They were already filled up to the top with food and beverages, "Lorenzo stacked us up with food yesterday." He smiled proudly of his trusted assistant.

 I quickly grabbed a bag of Dorritos, "Well done Lorenzo, well done." 

Nani laughed as she walked into the dining room, "It's beautiful, Tony. Almost better than the house in Georgia."

While my dad and Nani marveled over the downstairs of the house I headed upstairs to find my new room. I walked into the last room down the hall, and gasped when I noticed the loud orange wallpaper. My stomach flipped, and I bit my lip to keep it from quivering. Orange was my favorite color, but I had a reason for it. 

The last time I seen my mom she was drinking a glass of orange juice, and every time I see orange I see her. I traced the wall with my fingers completely oblivious to Nani walking in behind me.

"I asked Lorenzo to change it from red to orange. I know how much it would mean to you."

 I turned and smiled softly, "Thank you, Nani." She grabbed my hand and gently pulled me towards the queen size bed. 

"I just want you to know that even though you're not my daughter by birth, you're still my daughter. I know I come off rude sometimes, but I promise I'll try to do better. I know I'll never measure up to Kim, and I don't want to. No one can come between a mother and daughter's love; all I want is to have a bond with you of my own."

 I felt a tear make its way down my cheek as I nodded my head, "I'd like that." She wrapped her arms around me tightly, and pulled back smiling at me.

My dad walked in sighing happily, "There you guys are. Hey Rae, how about you take the car and check out the town."

 I sat up quickly smiling, "Really? Thanks dad. What time is dinner?" I grabbed the keys out of his hand, and made my way down the stairs.

 "7ish, be back by then?" I heard Nani's distant voice call out, and I flung the door open rushing to the white 2016 Range Rover. I was 17 with my license, but my dad only let me drive for emergency errands.

I pulled out the driveway, and began to drive down the street. The town was pretty bland; everything looked empty and boring. I was about to turn the car around and go home, but a bunch of bright lights surrounding a small building caught my eye.

 I pulled into the parking lot, and noticed there were several cars and people standing outside. I squeezed my way through, being easy since I was 5'2, and made my way inside. My eyes widened as I realized it was a boxing arena; the place was packed full of people mainly a bunch of drunk guys in their mid 30's but a couple of teenagers could be spotted here and there.

I scrunched up my nose as the smell of beer, sweat, and blood burned my nostrils. Gross, I thought as I made my way closer to where the fighting was happening. Suddenly someone banged into my shoulder causing me to topple to the ground, "Watch where you're going asshole." The words left my lips before I could realize it.

 I looked up and choked on spit, as I took in the man standing above me. His long legs were covered by black sweats, and sweat glistened on his chest. He had long shoulder length hair, and his eyes were dark and mysterious. He had a nice tan, and a lot of muscle. He glared at me, "Watch who the fuck you're talking to." He almost growled, and I flinched as I immediately felt small under his gaze. 

He looked at me in disgust, "Now you're speechless huh?" I looked away avoiding eye contact, and watched as he walked away from me. I quickly let out the breath I didn't know I was holding in. So much for this town being boring.

Author's Note: Image above is Harry.