Chapter 8

I blasted the radio as one of my favorite songs but Olly Murs came on.

"I never meant to break your heart

Now I won't let this plane go down

I never meant to make you cry

I'll do what it takes to make this fly, oh

You gotta hold on

Hold on to what you're feeling

That feeling is the best thing"

I sang out loud smiling and forgetting all about Harry. I pulled up to my house feeling better, and it showed. 

I titled my head questionably when I noticed someone sitting on my doorstep. I beeped the horn trying to get their attention, and her head snapped up. Pulling out her headphones, Hazel walked up to the car smiling at me. "Hazel? What are you doing here?" I took the key out of the ignition, and she backed away from my door so I could open it.

"I came to check on you. I haven't seen you around since the incident at the Inn, once again I'm sorry about that. I never should have taken you there. I didn't know-" I put my hand up giggling, and she stopped rambling. 

She looked at me confused, "You're not mad?"

 I shook my head, "Opposite actually. I got a job and it's with a cute boy." 

Hazel's eyebrows raised as a grin formed on her face, "Oh, do tell."

I told her I'd tell her more in my house, and she nodded following me inside. Nani had texted me saying she was out for business with my dad, so I knew no one was home. We sat on the couch, and she started bouncing happily. "Okay, spill the beans girl."

"Well, the job is at a diner, and the boy- his name is Jason." Hazel stopped bouncing and her face got serious. 

"No, Rae. He's bad news. Leave him alone, quit the job, and forget all about it." My jaw dropped as I stared at her in disbelief.

 I shook my head standing up, "I can't quit! I just got the job, Hazel." 

She rushed over to me, "I'll help you find a new one. This boy is bad news. He's friends with that asshole! Trust me I've been around them long enough to know they're no good."

I grabbed a frozen pretzel and put it in the microwave, "Hazel, I'm not quitting. I won't associate with him anywhere outside of work; how does that sound?" I looked over to see Hazel staring at me with worry and anger in her eyes. 

She crossed her arms, and leaned against the kitchen counter. "Whatever. Don't say I didn't warn you, though! Now what ya got to eat?" I smiled as the tension was lifted.

It was hours later, and Hazel and I we're playing Mario-Kart when her phone starting ringing. She paused the game, and stood up walking to the living room to answer it. I leaned back against the couch, when I heard her yelling.

"I don't give a shit. I don't want to fight anymore." I heard Hazel pacing around, and listened in more. "This is bullshit and you know it. I shouldn't be forced to do this!" She sighed deeply, "I'll be there in 10." Her voice cracked. She came around the corner, and I drew my attention back to the paused game appearing uninterested.

"I know you heard, you nosy shit." She laughed, but it seem forced.

 I sat up and walked over to her, "You okay?" 

Hazel chuckled bitterly as tears formed in her eyes, "Who wouldn't be okay with being forced to fight every night? It's the perfect life, you should try it sometime Rae. All you gotta do is give up your freedom." She stormed out the house slamming the door shut.

I plopped back down on the couch. An idea came to my head, and immediately I knew it was a bad one. I pulled out my phone sending a quick text to my dad.

Rae: going out w friend 2nite dont wait for dinner, love you!

I stopped at the door for a minute thinking about what I was about to do, before starting up my car. Way to go on being an idiot Rae, Way to go, I thought to myself before I headed off to the Underground Boxing Rink.

Author's Note: Gif above is Hazel.