Chapter Eighteen: Memory Lane

Liam's POV-

     The remainder of the school day seemed to drag on, as if on purpose, like fate loved seeing me miserable. I couldn't focus on a single class because thoughts of Brooke and that awful Luke kept invading my thoughts. What did Damon have to say? And how did he know more than even me? I have everything in my power to get more knowledge on the situation, but I would need to do so without my father questioning me. How in the world would I able to do that? Then it came to me, a literal light bulb just turned on over my head. I was back in the school's janitor room about to make a call and I knew exactly how to make my father agree on this with me. The ringing stopped and my father answered.

"Hello Liam," he said sounding bored.

"Hello father dearest, I have a favor to ask of you"

"Oh you do huh, and whatever could that be because you know I am a busy man and have no time for foolery," I could just seem him wagging his finger at me.

I sighed," It involves Brooke and her safety, dad."

My father instantly perked up," Alright I'm listening."

      Then I began to explain Luke and his suspicious behavior and how I needed my dad to find more about him. About who he really is.

"So can you do it?"

"Of course, anything for Brooklyn and her safety."

"One more thing. Could you also do a background check on a guy named Damon Salvatore."

"Why, is he also involved with Brooke?"

"Not exactly I just need to know some things about him," I said being vague.

"Fine, fine I will do it. Now I must go, duty calls you know," he said and I knew I would be hearing from him very soon.

"Alright I'll talk later," I then hung up the phone.

      I guess there are some perks when you have a dad like mine. But like any other person, with those perks are even more cons. That's just the life I've always been handed.

Back to Damon.

    Just because I had my dad, doesn't mean the information he's withholding isn't vital. It makes things easier after all. With that in mind, I needed something to do before 6:30. I thought of hanging out with Jagger, but that dudes too obsessed with his girlfriend which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just makes things super awkward. Obviously, Damon was out of the bag. Which only left Brooke. I debated whether I should text her or not because I didn't want to come off too clingy already in our relationship considering what happened earlier. 

     Man, I really needed more friends.

     I decided after all to just hang out with myself at home. Everyone needs some alone time every now and then so why not now? I drove myself home, but not after giving Brooke a goodbye. That girl is really something, I thought. She's so much more than anyone would ever imagine, even herself and it hurts me to say so. I'm dreading the day she finds out, the day where she can't look me in the eye anymore. I know it's inevitable, but for now I want to keep acting like normal teenagers. Like people who fall in love without a care in the world. Like people who go to school and fall away in the crowd without a problem. Like people who just live life to the fullest without the world upon their shoulders.

    I parked the car in my driveway of a house that was hidden away. It was invisible to the human eye of someone who didn't look very carefully. It was better that way. I walked up the pebble walkway all the way to the large, wooden doors. Overall, the house seemed very normal and average which was what we were going for. It doesn't rise any suspicion or bring any unwanted attention to it. Though, I must say the five locks on the door does look pretty silly and unnecessary, but I assure you that they are not. Most definitely not.

      I made my way to my bedroom that was upstairs and  put in a very convenient spot. It had many possible escape routes, if necessary, and was right next to the stairs to make a fast getaway. The whole house was really convenient with all it's hidden entries and gadgets, but it did take me awhile to figure out when I first came. 

      I still remember that day like it was yesterday, besides the fact that I was like nine or ten at the time. I had been informed that I was given my very first and most important mission of them all. I had been terrified and stressed out that I would ruin everything, but luckily I had a good six-seven years before I had to take action.

Now.

      Before then, all I would do and what I did, was gather information and train. Train, train, train. That was the majority of what I did back then and it was excruciatingly tiring. I knew it was all worth it though because it meant I could better protect her. Brooke. 

      That's old news now. I dropped the little stop at memory lane and got out a book while setting an alarm for 6:30. You don't know how long it's been since I've last gotten to read for fun. It may be hard to believe, but before my life had changed I was quite the book worm. Sadly, this was the first chance I've had in about a good year or so since I've last opened up a good book and just relaxed. So I did just that.

     My reading level is pretty advanced if I do say so myself so I was flipping pages left and right, really get absorbed into the flimsy book I found laying around. So when my alarm went off I jumped a little bit before painfully putting the copy down. I remembered the use of the alarm after a few seconds of confusion and cracked my knuckles to prepare for what was going to happen next.

Game time.