Chapter 19

I sat by Jughead as we sat outside Betty's house. "Ah it's nice to be a super sleuth with you guys," I say.

  "It is pretty great isn't it," He says knocking on Betty's door. 

"Jughead, Y/n, come in," Mrs. Cooper says.

"Nice to see you again Mrs. Cooper," I say.

"Likewise," She says. We follow her to the dining room where a breakfast spread was laid out.

"Wow," I say.

"Is something wrong?" Mrs. Cooper says.

"No just when Betty invited us over I thought it would be a small breakfast," I say.

"Oh," She says, "you two sit down. Betty should be down in a minute. I nod and sit down across from where Jughead was sitting down. Mrs. Cooper smiles and walks off into the kitchen.

"I haven't seen this much food in years," I say to Jug.

"Neither have I," He says.

"Broken family club?" I say he laughs as Betty sits on the side of the table.

"Whats so funny?" She asks.

"We are just remembering how we haven't seen a nice big family breakfast like this in years," I say, "and we have reestablished the Broken family club."

"Broken Family club?" She asks.

"A coping mechanism for nine-year-old Y/n and I," He says.

"The only requirement is depressing family issues," I say.

"I guess I fit the club now huh?" Betty asks.

"Most of our friend group does," I say, "We truly are the sad breakfast club."

"Breakfast is served," Mrs. Cooper says placing down pancakes. I wait for the others to grab food. But I'm not gonna lie, my mouth was watering. 

"You can grab some," Betty says placing food on her plate.

"I know," I say. I pick up some of the pancakes and a spoonful of the fruit. Betty hands me a cup and then some orange voice. Jug and I dig into the food. While Alice and Betty sat there quietly. 

"So, Jughead, Y/n, I suppose we have you two to thank for Betty's ongoing obsession with this Jason Blossom ghoulishness?" Mrs. Cooper asks us. 

"Actually, Mom, I was the one who asked them to help me write it for the Blue and Gold," Betty says.

"Relax Betty," She says, "I'm just making conversation." Betty makes eye contact with Jug telling him to ask to leave the room.

"Do you guys have a bathroom I could use?" Jug asks.

"Sure, I'll show you," Betty says.

"No, no," Mrs. Cooper says standing up, "I'll show him. Follow me Jughead." They both get up and leave. Betty jumps up and waves me over. She digs through her mother's purse. She pulls out a little book and snaps a couple pictures of it. She places it back in and we sit down.

"You okay Betty?" I ask her.

"I will be soon," She says.

*******

I sat by Jughead as he sat with his laptop out. I aim my camera and snap pictures of him. He looks over and raises an eyebrow. "You looked good," I say.

"'The Sister's of Quiet Mercy' Whats that? Like a church? Or a charity?" Betty says.

"No," Jug says, "it's a 'Home for troubled youths. Where disenfranchised teens will learn such virtues as discipline and respect, enjoying lives of quiet reflection and servitude."