Chapter 10

That moment of just being kids didn't last. I was in my science class sitting in my usual spot by the Jughead Jones. I was doodling our little friend group as the teacher babbled on.

   "We're reviewing new systems of human biology starting with," The teacher says. I hear someone enter the room. I look up to see Principal Weatherbee and Sheriff Keller.

  "You're here for me, aren't you? Because of the autopsy?" Cheryl says standing from her seat. I look over at Jughead with wide eyes then back at the scene.

"We don't need to do this in front of your classmates, Cheryl."

"It's all right, Principal Weatherbee. They'll find out soon enough," Cheryl says holding out her hands.

"Now, that won't be necessary," Sheriff Keller says.

"Wait, Cheryl, find out what?" Veronica asks.

 "That I'm guilty," Cheryl says.  The words echoed off the walls as they walk her out of the classroom. 

 "Guilty?" I ask Jughead. 

"Stay in your seats," the teacher says as students move towards the door. 

"What is she guilty of?" Jug mumbles.

******

  Jughead and I sat in the booth at Pops. He was typing away on his laptop and I was doodling to kill time. "She didn't kill him," he says, "but what the hell is she guilty off?" 

  "Hiding evidence?" I suggest.

"No, because then we would have heard what," He says.

"I don't know," I say. Pops walks to us with a milkshake and a coffee pot. He sits the milkshake down in front of me and refills Jug's coffee cup. "Hey, Pops got the paper?" I ask. He points to one sitting on the counter. "Thanks," I say. I get up and grab it from the counter. I walk back and begin to read. "She lied," I say to Jughead.

"What?" He asks. I hand him the paper and he scans through the first page.

"He didn't die on the fourth so Arch-" He says cutting himself off.

"Archie what?!" I ask.

"Nothing it's not important," He says.

"It is if you are worried about him and the Jason case," I whisper yell.

"He will be fine," Jug says chugging the contents of the cup Pops had just refilled. I couldn't help but wonder what Archie had gotten himself into.

******

"If print journalism is dead, what am I doing here?" Jug says from the doorway to Betty. I stand beside him at my usual place.

"The Blue and Gold isn't dead, Juggy. It's just dormant. But waking up. You're writing a novel, right? About Jason Blossom's murder?" Betty says. Jug and I enter the room. I admire the surroundings, old and untouched.

" I am. Riverdale's very own In Cold Blood," He says as he picks up a magnifying glass and looks through it at Betty.

"Which started out as a series of articles. I'm hoping you'll come write for the Blue and Gold," Betty says, "You two Y/n, we could definitely use a photographer like you for nice visuals."

"I just don't think the school paper's the right fit for my voice," Jug says.

"Juggy Jason's death changed Riverdale. People don't want to admit that, but it's true. We all feel it.Nothing this bad was ever supposed to happen here, but it did.I want to know why" Betty says.