Chapter Twenty-Seven - 'Everything Sucks'

Start from the beginning

"Kimmy?" He shouted in response, confused. I stare at him. His hazel eyes, everlasting smirk, short trimmed hair, dark coppery skin, his buff stature even in the costume; looking at him takes me back to high school. He looks exactly like he did the last time I saw him, only a little bigger. I could still see the appeal, but I longer felt it.

"Yeah. The host." I said, attempting to speak over the music. "Cool costume." I continued, laughing slightly. He was dressed as a cop, the hat, gun in hand and all.

Vince smiled, the same boyish smile he always had. "Thanks, I went for irony!"

I grinned, "You succeeded, I'm sure you'll make a bunch of people uneasy with that ice breaker."

"You look incredible, too. Neat costume. I also see you haven't grown since I last saw you." He said, playfully marking my height with his hand. "I didn't ask how you were, so how are you?"

"Good. I actually decided to do the gap year!" I told him, eyeing the red cup in his other hand and wondering his state. He seemed sober so far.

"Really? That's cool, I remember you said you would."

"Well what about you? Chrissy told me you got that scholarship."

He nodded, "You heard correctly, it's been good so far!"

"That's great." I said, genuinely happy for him. Despite his somewhat intimidating appearance, he was infuriatingly intelligent- during high school he'd either spend his wake holding a pen or a football. It didn't come as a surprise when I heard he'd gotten what he'd deserved. Without much conscious thought, I reflexively lean over to give him a friendly hug. "It really is." To my relief, Vince returns my quick embrace without the awkward tension I'd dreaded from the beginning. Hugging an old friend made me wish being friends didn't get old.

Silence ensued between us quickly after we broke away; it sucked to feel awkward now when we use to be so comfortable around each other. In an attempt to get away before the conversation goes south, I gesture to Kimmy whom was still mingling gleefully within a crowd of people and begin walking away. "It was nice talking to you. See you around!" I said.

"Oh, yeah. You too, Olive!"

I head for Kimmy again and she quickly notices this time. Kimmy, I assume, is wearing a costume dedicated to the late Super, Steele. She had her hair tightly brushed back into a slick ponytail with a thick silver band securing it in and wore a silver breastplate with a black cape. Her eyes widened as she took in my appearance, "You look awesome! Who are you dressed as?"

"I'm just me, as a Super!" I said, pulling up my own cape and showing her the logo Jackie had designed for me.

She laughed, taking my hand and spinning me, "Wanna dance?" She asked, shouting over the music.

I'd already refused a drink; the considered soul of a party, so I didn't see it fitting to come to a party and at least not dance. I accepted and Kimmy pulled me onto the dance floor, both of us laughing with the music. "Where'd Ash?" I asked, not seeing him.

"He was whisked away to play beer pong!"

I laughed, imagining Ash demolish the other player. He was a natural at everything.

"So Tyler's really not here?" She asked as the music changed and the music slowed a little.

I nodded, he should be on his way to pay his respects to Cade and his parents right about now. I suppose Tyler would just be wishing Cade a happy birthday seeing as he didn't like the concept of mourning. I suddenly don't feel in the mood for dancing anymore. "I'm going to get some food now!" I told her, already exhausted.