Chapter Three - 'Ghoulish'

I'm just about to knock on the front door when I realise I could possibly be covered in blood, this would definitely raise many questions. I drop my hand and dig into my pocket to pull my phone out. Maybe there was another way to see if I was dirty, but a selfie with flash on was the only thing I could think of.

I have to do a double take looking at the photo I had just taken, I was a mess. My hair looked ludicrous, my bangs weren't even doing what they were supposed to be doing, hiding my forehead, being a fringe- due to the wind, many strands were flying all over the place. The photo didn't help my complexion either, it showed off all the marks on my face including the faint acne scars.

Staring at myself, I realise how long it had been since I had taken a look of myself in my mirror. I can't believe I left the house like this. My eyes drifted down my face to see I now had dried up blood along my lips and cheeks, it looked as if I had devoured flesh straight off the bone.

I felt icky and ghoulish, I didn't know if the thought of the blood belonging to Super Psych helped it or made it worse.

Unsure what to do in this situation, I look around frantically for a solution as though it'd miraculously pop up. I quickly recall the tap we had in our background and I immediately head straight for the gate that would lead me back there. I hope that today, like many other days, my dad had neglected to lock it.

I slip my hand through the metal bars and blindly try to find the padlock that should be there and to my relief, it's there unlocked- although it was concerning that we lived like this, I was incredibly relieved in this moment. I slip the padlock off and push the gate open, it creaks, but I'm glad it doesn't make much more of a sound than it typically would.

Carefully, aware of the uneven concrete path, I make my way over to where I remember the garden tap to be, no one ever really used it, but we all knew it was there. I crouch down and turn it on to wash my face, my hands and half my face freezing cold from the water.

The creaking sound of footsteps put me into alert and I turn to see that the back porch light has flickered on and standing in the doorway is Tyler. He's staring at me like I had just been caught stealing, bewilderment and amusement etched across his face. The tap is still running, i'm still in an awkward position- but at least my face was washed. I'd rather look like an idiot than a murderer.

"Liv, what are you doing?" He asked humorously, he might as well bring out his phone and take a photo of me. From his now hearty expression, it's clear he doesn't see any blood on my face or either can't see my face at all.

"I took a selfie a moment ago which came out really bad and I felt icky so I came around to wash my face. Problem, Ty?" I wasn't exactly lying, I just wasn't telling the whole truth...

Tyler just laughs, I'm mildly offended that he acts as if this is normal of me- being weird. "You couldn't come inside and then wash your face?"

"Nope, guess not." I turn off the tap and get up. "Good thing you're here, I didn't bring my keys. Are you sleeping over?" I ask as we make our way inside.

Tyler shrugs, "I wasn't going to, but when you left I saw your keys were still here and I'm a good person, so I decided to stay and answer the door when you got back." He pauses, takes his time to turn around with his crutches and then looks at me, puzzled. "Also, where the hell are the groceries? You only have like fruits and...cat food here."