Chapter Six - 'Which Sweetheart?'

"Y-you brat!" Elizabeth shrieked, her face had gone profusely red, she looked like a tomato.

I was a little bit of a brat, but I would never sink that low. I can only sigh at this point, I've just about lost my voice arguing with her so much. I bet if a stranger were to witness us, they'd both perceive us as a bunch of childish youngsters going at it, not a stepmother and her stepdaughter.

Dad barged in, wide eyed. "What's going on?" This has got to be the fifth argument this week. I was surprised my dad hasn't lost his marbles by now and forced me to start college already.

Elizabeth pointed her finger at me. "She tore the dress!"

"Dress?" Dad repeated, dumbfounded. Then his eyes fell upon the piece of fabric I could hardly even call a dress. There had been a little bit of a tear. Elizabeth was so angry she didn't realise she was only stretching the seams, making it not so little anymore.

"Olivia...why?" He groaned, disappointed.

"It was an accident, I swear." I threw my hands up, frustrated.

Dad studied me a little bit, but Elizabeth was still fuming and before he could get another word in, she screeched, "Accident?! She's hated me since day one! This was no accident!"

I tried to remain calm. Tyler had said that the best way to prove innocence was to keep it classy. But it was hard when all I wanted to do was scream right back. "You left it hanging out of the box. So it was technically on the ground. I just happened to trip over it."

"Can't you get another dress?" Dad murmured quietly.

"This was one of a kind!"

"Really? One of a kind? I've just about seen that dress everywhere." I muttered.

"Well it's not cheap you little-"

"Sweetheart." Dad interjected. The weird part was, Elizabeth and I had no idea whom it was directed to. Dad use to call me that when I was younger, but now I wasn't so sure. I can't believe I had to wonder, which sweetheart was he addressing?

"What?" Elizabeth and I said, then proceeding to glare at each other.

Dad rubbed his temples, looking about a couple years older. "There's a place not far, they repair clothing."

"That costume shop?" Elizabeth muttered disgustedly. I smirk, I know exactly where that is and it doesn't look too shabby.

"Perfect! Costumes outta be their specialty, good thing that dress fits their criteria as a slu-"

"THAT'S ENOUGH, OLIVIA! YOU'RE BEING VERY CHILDISH!" Dad roared suddenly. I flinch. "Go get her dress fixed." He added, this time, softer.

"With your own money." Elizabeth said quietly, smirking  to herself. Here I thought only in movies stepmothers could be so...unpleasant. I was very wrong.

I grit my teeth, so completely, utterly done with this witch. Really now, what did my dad even see in her? Sure, if you squinted hard enough maybe you'd understand what he might've saw, but as for her personality...did my dad even have standards anymore?

"Fine! Let's hope they know what they're doing." I snapped, yanking the dress out of her hand. I hear the fabric rip again, further widening the tear. Elizabeth and my dad winced.