Chapter Eight - 'I Picture A Dude In Spandex'

[A/N: Which cover do you like best?]

-

We make it to the front of the house when Super Psych finally puts me down. We're both wet and cold and I still kinda want to be in his arms again.

"I have a question." I said, raising my voice over the rain. I haven't faced him yet, I wasn't going to risk him disappearing and losing all trust in me, but I know he's right behind me, I hadn't let go of his arm.

Well it was more so that I was just touching his arm rather than holding it. "Why did you lie?" I asked, referring to when Jackie had questioned how we'd met and he'd interjected- telling her I was about to get into a car accident.

Was it that he'd just mistaken me for some damsel he'd rescued? Or was he really just lying?

He takes his time to reply and when he does it's not exactly satisfactory. "You should probably get inside before you get a cold." He said, dodging the question smoothly.

I sighed, he was just as impossible as me- and the combination didn't often produce a pretty result. So I decide to relent for the moment, checking the house to see the lights are off and the car to be gone. Dad and Elizabeth probably went to some restaurant and left me behind, like always.

I gritted my teeth and and grab Super Psych's hand, pulling him with me. I notice even his armour works over his hands as protective gloves, it was like holding hands with a robot, I could feel no such warmth through them, which was odd as I'd been in his arms mere moments ago having a blast cradled in warmth.

"What are you doing?" He asked awkwardly.

"Taking us inside before we get a cold!" I replied, unable to keep my voice from showing the bitterness I currently felt for my dad- the feeling often came and went. And to my relief, I didn't have to keep dragging Super Psych as he begrudgingly started trailing behind.

I shoved in my keys and give it a forceful turn before kicking the front door open, just as I had figured, Dad and Elizabeth were gone, the house was silent. We walk in, unapologetically trailing in rain water. I shrugged off the jacket from my shoulders and tossed the bag with the dress inside on the couch.

"I'll get us some towels." I said, noticing how much it felt as though I were talking to a ghost, something I couldn't see, something I just had to trust to be there.

Moments later I come back with a couple towels in hand and a change of clothes for Super Psych. Tyler left a heap of clothes around just in case he'd be staying over last minute. I throw them in mid air and turn around, "Catch!" I said, and I don't hear it drop.

"Seriously? A dog trick?" He grunted, his voice was coming from behind me.

I laugh faintly, "Sorry, just curious."

Super Psych sighs, probably rolling his eyes.

The next few minutes are taken up by us drying ourselves in the lounge room, backs turned to each other.

"So...why did you lie?" I repeated, untangling my damp hair with my fingers and fixing up my bangs. "Just so we're clear, you know I'm the chick you met in the alleyway, right?"

"How could I forget the heavy amount of sass you gave me that night?" He drawled lightly, as though the coldness from earlier had washed away from the rain.