Chapter Thirty-Three - 'A Certain Kind Of Dumb Luck'

[ A/N: Sorry this chapter came out later than usual! It wasn't initially apart of the plan but it ended up as the longest chapter I've written (seriously, I even had to cut out stuff)... So I hope it makes up for the delay! ]

-

It's amazing how much mess a bunch of sophisticated looking adults can leave when they have a little bit of wine in them. So many carpet stains... it looks like blood spill. At least if it were, it would've been more of an interesting night. Elizabeth had stressed about the carpet's state for the last two days since the party and even after making me pour an unsafe amount stain removers and scrub until my arms were sore, they all still remained in all it's glory.

I'm pretty sure the remaining toxic smell of the stain removers are getting to me because I've been harbouring a horrible headache and heartache for the last two days, though I know the latter is entirely my own fault, the ache runs so deep it almost feels physical.

Low and behold, I'm still feeling miffed about the pregnancy, even more so after learning they'd been 'trying' for the baby for months now- and keeping me in the complete dark.

I suppose there's some upsides to it, the fact that it makes me feel a little bit better knowing my dad's not entirely oblivious to my obvious bitterness. I've noticed he's more wary of my presence than usual and typically has a conflicted expression etched across his ageing features, too. But feeling satisfied with just that is a little saddening, so it depresses me even more that he can't even try to talk to me.

I'm staring at the patch of faded red on the carpet at my feet when my phone starts ringing. I'm quite delighted at the name that pops up and I answer it gladly, putting it speaker. "Grandma!"

"Good morning, Livvy!" She greeted warmly. Hearing her voice brought me a strange amount of relief, though I'm not quite sure why besides the usual fact that I always miss her. Maybe all the pregnancy stuff that's happening is making me feel more attached to the only woman who treats me like a daughter.

"That's debatable." I said lightly, leaning back into the couch. "What's the occasion?" I asked her, Grandma was a busy, working lady, so she didn't typically call out of the blue. Her visit a while ago is still a little hard to believe.

"How's my favourite and only granddaughter feeling now that the special day is coming up soon?" She cooed.

I frowned, "I'm surprised you heard about the pregnancy." I admitted, considering my dad no longer has any true relation to her- nor any reason to talk to her.

"I beg your pardon young lady?" she shrieked, making me flinch away from the phone, I can't tell if she's happy or angry- I just figure she now thinks I'm the pregnant one, confirming that she doesn't know about Elizabeth.

I began laughing, "My bad. I'm not the pregnant one, Elizabeth is."

"Elizabeth is pregnant?" Grandma said incredulously, "Oh dear..."

"So what special day were you talking about Grandma?" I asked, trying to divert the path of conversation that demanded to be talked about. The fact of the matter was that I just didn't have the proper mindset to talk maturely about the pregnancy I'm irrationally sour about. My thoughts are in disarray and my feelings are all over the place- safe to say I probably won't be ready to talk about it for the following few months of maternity Elizabeth had left.