Chapter Twenty-Four - 'A Big Heart'

[ A/N: In the beginning I had planned for this story to finish at the twenty-ish mark. But that's not the case now that we're here and I've got a lot more updates lined up for you guys... I just hope for now that every chapter is an enjoyable read even if it doesn't feel like much is happening story wise. Anyway, enjoy this one, leave a vote and a comment! ]

-

My phone begins to ring, pulling me out of the conversation with Reece about nothing in particular. I glance at the phone to find it's Grandma calling me, I'm about to answer when I realise I shouldn't, can't, don't want to.

After a moment of silent debate with myself and moving my hands back and forth from the phone, I switch it to vibrate.

"You look like you're malfunctioning." Reece said.

I turned around and flashed him a grin, "Now that I know what you do for a living, how you talk makes a lot of sense to me now." I said.

He tilted his head, "Not going to answer that?"

It stops vibrating. Then it vibrates again. My nails dig into the palms of my clenched hands, "I can't." I said through gritted teeth.

He raised an eyebrow, "Can't?"

"Don't want to." I admitted aloud, "I don't want to hear her sad." Or cry. My Grandma is one of the toughest people I know, because of this, I have absolutely no idea what she's like when she's sad.

"I got absolutely no context from that, but you should answer it." Reece said, biting into the last of his slice.

My finger hovers over the phone and when I decide to answer, the phone stops calling from Grandma and it starts calling from Tyler. I've already answered before I've actually realised this. "Wha- Tyler!" I began cheerily.

"You have a heart condition, Liv?!" Tyler demanded, his voice booming. It's not even on speaker yet it's loud enough to make me flinch and the sleeping Cyber wake up. I don't even want to know the expression on Reece's face.

I mustered a laughed- I think if I don't laugh I'll cry- god knows I can't seem to control my emotions lately... "Yes, it's called caring too much." I joked.

"Liv. What the hell? Why didn't you tell us? Why didn't you tell me before? Why did you lie?" He accused.

"I told you about the asthma." I replied calmly, "I didn't lie about anything."

Tyler began cussing, a string of unpleasant words that I haven't heard come out of his mouth in a while. It's a little refreshing, I thought he'd gone soft from all the kid tutoring he's been doing. "Just asthma? No, you didn't think to mention that you also could have-"

"A big heart." I cut him off, pulling the charger out of the phone and taking the conversation to the bathroom. I pull Reece's door close, our eyes meet for a split second and I can't decipher the expression on his face at all this time. It makes me uneasy.

"What?" Came Tyler's incredulous reply. I walked into the bathroom and switched on the light.

"Just... please don't worry about it." I pleaded weakly, turning the phone to speaker and setting it down onto the sink bench. I sit down on the edge of the bathtub and put my head in my hands.