Chapter 14: Keeping Promises

Soldiers surround Devasena and come towards her with swords in their hands. They were stopped by Bahubali. Bahubali stands in front of Devasena, protecting her. He announces,"Whoever lays their hand on Devasena, assume that you've laid your hands on Bahubali's sword!"

 He announces,"Whoever lays their hand on Devasena, assume that you've laid your hands on Bahubali's sword!"

Everyone backs off, keeping their swords back in their sheaths. Bahubali remembers his mother's teachings when he was young. She told him to always be loyal to the promises given by him, to never betray your own words." No matter how big the problem is, do not forget your promises."

Bahubali looks up at his mother and says,"A woman should have a right to choose her husband... You made a mistake, mother."
Shivgami falls back to her seat, speechless. Her eyes were wide open, she was hurt. She couldn't believe her own son chose Devasena over her.

Bhalal taking opportunity of this moment, releases his hand over Bhijaladev's shoulders. He indicates him to make a move. Bhijaladev gets up from his seat and shouts,"Mistake? Shivgami made a mistake?!"

He walks forward and continues,"As soon as you were born, you killed your own mother. Still Shivgami accepted you as her son... was that a mistake? She loved you as much as she loved her own son, she gave you equal rights.... was that a mistake?! And She is even giving you the throne.... Tell me! IS THAT A MISTAKE?"

Bhijaladev walks towards Shivgami and tries to corrupt her mind,"Shivgami, did you see what just happened here? He chose her over you! And you are proclaiming him as our future king?"

He again faces Bahubali and says,"You wont break your promise. What about your mother's promise? That doesn't matter to you?"
Shivgami looks at Bahubali hoping he would say something, but he didn't.

Shivgami gets up and stands in infront of Bahubali. She says,"You have two options. You either give up on this egoistic woman or give up the throne and pass it on to your brother, Bhalal."

Bahubali was shocked. He gently says,"I'm just following your principles, mother. I can't break my promise to Devasena."
Shivgami angrily announces,"Okay then, This coming auspicious day, crowning ceremony of my son, Bhalal will be held!"

The minister comes forward,"But Queen mother, think once again..."
Shivgami turns around angrily,"THIS IS MY WORD. AND MY WORD IS MY LAW!"

************

The pandit hosts the ceremony, he screams loudly,"From Udaygiri mountain in the east and Maya River in the west

The pandit hosts the ceremony, he screams loudly,"From Udaygiri mountain in the east and Maya River in the west ....to Kuntal and Samanthya Kingdom in the north and Karthini, Suryani, Kalkeya in the south!.... that vast is the area of Mahismati! And today, BhalalDev will be crowned as King of Mahismati Kingdom!"

Bhalal enters sitting in a large chariot surrounded by soldiers. Group of soldiers were marching in front of him towards the throne. It was lead by Bahubali in the front. He was wearing an armor with a sword in his hand. They were surrounded by hundreds of elephants and horses and thousands of men wearing armor with spear in their hands. Bahubali, while marching along with the group of soldiers, screams the Sanskrit Verses loudly holding up his sword.

"Mahismati Ashwathalam,
Abhimukam!
(Black horses of Mahismati, come forward!)

Maharaj Vandanam!
(Worship the King!)

Chakravarti Aagmanam
(The arrival of the ruler)

Gajaganam, vinamyatum Manyasum
(The elephants pay the respects)

Katgyashreni Suryashreni!
Ayodh Gaurav Samarpanam!
(The swordsman, the warriors, welcome the king)

Kattapa sikshita
Vishist Sena Samuham!
(Commander of soldiers, Kattapa and all the soldiers, come forward)

Maharaj Charanam Vandhanam!
(Worship the King)

Roopvishaha
(Presenting..)

Bahubali clears the way for the King to climb the stage. Bhalal proudly walks up the stage. He looks at Devasena who was sitting along with her family, he smirks at her. Devasena sits back uncomfortably.