Chapter 7

I am walking to the cafe to meet Peeta for breakfast. I walk into the cold room and up to the counter, where I order a hot chocolate for myself, and a dozen cheese buns for Peeta and I to share. I decide to wait to get Peeta's drink, so it doesn't get cold. I choose a booth in the back where no one ever sits, and sit down. I start sipping on my drink, when I see Peeta walk through the door. I watch as his eyes scan the room searching for me. When his eyes lock on mine, he smiles and waves at me. I wave back, and sit, waiting for Peeta. Soon, Peeta joins me with a cup of what I assume is hot chocolate.

"How are you doing this morning?" he asks.

"I'm okay. Is it cold in here, or am I just imagining things?" I ask, rubbing my arms in attempt to make them warmer.

"I'm pretty sure you're imagining it. It wouldn't surprise me with the way your brain works," he jokes. I reach across the table and playfully punch his shoulder. "I'm just kidding. Here," he says, standing up. He takes off his leather jacket and starts to put it around me.

"No, no, no. I'm alright," I say. He gives me a look.

"No, you're getting the jacket. I can tell you're cold, and I'm not gonna sit here watching you freeze. I was gonna take it off anyway," he says, putting it around my shoulders. He sits back down.

"So, we never really caught up, did we? I mean, what have you been up to for the past five years?" I ask.

"Well, after you left, I went to culinary school. Which took four years. I thought it would help me forget about you. It didn't. Then, I got a job being the private chef for a rich family. That's pretty much it," he says quickly, like we have to rush.

"Peeta, we have all the time in the world. Tell me the long version. I'm curious, really, I am," I say.

"Okay, okay. Well, like I said, I went to culinary school to try to forget about you. After I got back home, I needed money. Working at my family's bakery didn't pay me anything, so I put an ad in the paper for a private chef. I didn't think anyone would be interested, but apparently I was wrong. I met up with these two adults, a mom and a dad, and they agreed to pay me a very good amount to work for them. As it turns out, they had a daughter my age. She was kinda pretty, I guess. She liked me a lot, though. I went out with her once, because I didn't want to lose my job, but it didn't work. Apparently, she was just trying to make her ex-boyfriend jealous, so I left. I kept working for them, though. I needed the money. About a month ago, Finnick phoned me. We were just talking about random stuff, when he mentioned you. I wanted to see you so badly, so I asked if he minded if I came to visit. He said it was perfect timing, because the Valentine's ball was coming up. I thought that was the perfect time to surprise you. When I got there that night, I saw you and it hit me hard how much I missed you. I missed your smile, I missed your laugh, I missed the way you bite your lip all the time. I missed being with you. I realized what an idiot I was to just let you leave, and I wanted to make it up to you. Now, here we are, having fun together, just like we used to. I really did miss you, Katniss. I still do," he says the last sentence looking down at his hands in his lap. I stand up and walk over to his side of the booth where I sit down next to him, pulling him into a hug.

"I miss you, too, Peeta," I say. Then, I stand back up, pulling on his hand, so he gets up too. "Let's go do something."

"Like what?" he asks, picking up the box with the extra cheese buns with one hand.

"Do I have to figure out everything?" I say.

"Well, how about we go and meet up with Finn and Annie at the park?" he suggests.

"Okay! I'll call Annie and tell her and Finn to meet us in 15 minutes," I say taking out my phone. I dial her up and tell her where and when to meet, then hang up.