48

"You can relax, Ronald. I'm not going to try to kill you anymore," Undertaker said nonchalantly as he fixed the black necktie and buttoned the grey waistcoat he wore. He had noticed the boy's rigid posture in the reflection of the mirror. Ronald scratched the back of his neck with a nervous laugh.

"Sorry. Old habits, I guess," he joked. "I mean, just a few months ago you nearly lodged a pair of scissors into my skull."

"That is true, though I doubt Mikki would be very pleased if I killed the best man at our wedding." Ah, yes. Ronald was the best man. However, Mikki hadn't been the one to choose him.

"Yeah, you see, I'm still kinda processing that bit. Never in a million centuries would I have guessed that you'd pick me to be your best man."

"I wouldn't have, either," Undertaker replied, tugging on his lapels to straighten them.

"Then... why did you? If I may ask, that is."

"Because you mean a lot to her. She's described you as being sort of like a brother to her in many ways, which, of course, makes me feel like even more of a prick for thinking... you know. Anyway, you mean a lot to her and it would mean that much more for you to be in the wedding." Ronald felt touched, but then Undertaker spoke again. "Besides, she insisted I have a best man, and you're probably the one who least irritates me."

"Gee, thanks," Ronald muttered, but he glanced over at the mirror Undertaker stood in front of and caught the slight smirk on the elder's lips. He stood and smiled softly. "Well, anyway, thanks. I'm glad you've given me this opportunity. It means a lot to me, too."

"Don't push it, now," Undertaker said. A knock soon came and in stepped Sebastian, wearing his normal butler attire, but his waistcoat was the same color of grey as Undertaker's.

"Pardon my intrusion, but it is nearly time," he said, and left, closing the door softly behind him.

"Well, old man, what do you say?" Ronald said, shrugging into his grey tuxedo jacket.

"I say you refrain from calling me 'old man' or we may just have to revisit an old pair of scissors," Undertaker said, making his final adjustments before turning away from the mirror and heading to the door. Ronald thought he heard a hint of teasing in his voice, but he couldn't be too sure, and with a nervous laugh, he followed Undertaker out of the room.

==========

"Oh, Mikki, you look absolutely gorgeous, yes you do!" Mei-Rin exclaimed, hands clasped as she looked at the bride in awe.

"You really think so?" Mikki asked, but it was rhetorical. As she looked in the mirror, she knew she looked damn good, at least in her opinion.

"Of course! You look almost like a princess! Only with less pink," Elizabeth said. Mikki smiled.

"Well, pink isn't exactly my color, you know that. Besides, I think the grey adds a nice touch to the white," Mikki said.

"It does, indeed. Oh, Undertaker is going to be in shock when he sees you!"

"Thanks, Mei-Rin. And thanks for helping me pick out the dress. I really do love it."

"No need to thank me, milady! It's all in a days work for a maid of honor!" In the time Mikki had been at the Phantomhive Manor, she had become quite close with the servants. It was amazing to do so, as they were such great people and so much more than what they had appeared as in the show. That is how Mei-Rin ended up becoming Mikki's maid of honor.

"There, all done," Paula said as she took a couple steps back to admire her handiwork. She had spent so long twisting and pinning Mikki's hair, but it was worth all the effort, and Mikki was in awe.