Chapter 27

As Alec pulls in to a run down, shady looking motel. I can't help but repeat our conversation in my head over and over again, looking for clues, looking for the piece of information I was missing.
It felt too easy, like there was a bigger picture that I was missing.

And how could I trust him when my gut told me not to.
I shiver as I remember the unspoken words.
For now.

After we started slowing down, Jayden had woken and thank god he decided that his voice was too precious to sing anymore.
He rubbed his eyes and they kept flickering back and forth between me and Alec, obviously catching on to the tense atmosphere.

He didn't say anything, although, he looked like he was holding himself back from asking us what had happened.

"Mel, come on, we need to check in." Jayden flicks my nose.
I didn't even realise the car had stopped moving.

Jayden grabs my hand which instantly warms. Although, as I met Alec's cold eyes, I shivered.
"Are you cold?" Jayden asks, I tear my eyes away from ice blue eyes and look into a pair of soft brown ones.
I shake my head.
"I'm fine. Just a shock to my system, the change in temperature."
He nods and squeezes my hand as I smile.

Alec walks ahead of us as Jayden and I lag behind a little.

I feel his warm breath on my ear.
"You alright for real? It felt tense in the car, did you guys argue?"

I bite my lip and hesitate.
Jayden hates Alec as it is, should I give him another reason to?

I shake my head.
"No, that's just the air around Alec isn't it? Tense." I let out a little nervous laugh as he narrows his eyes.
He drops it and slings his arm around my shoulder.
"Alright, come one Mel. I want to sleeeeeep."

I laugh and flick his nose.
"Okay!"

As we walk a little further, we come up to the motels doors.
Hung up on the window was a broken 'Open' sign, flashing disorganised bursts of neons pinks and greens.

We open the door to see Alec leaning against a wooden table where an old lady was sat.
Bright pink framed glasses were sat at the tip of her nose and her grey hair was swept back in a loose pony tail tied with a neon pink band.
Her face looked old and worn out yet her charming smile gave her a youthful hint.
"Hey dearie! You guys want a room together?"

I look at Jayden and Alec.
"I don't know, what rooms have you got available."

She opens a brown tattered journal and flicks through after pushing her glasses up her nose.
"Let me see, oh. Bad time to pass through, there's a huge festival in Oklahoma and most of the rooms are booked. I can offer you room 24 which has two beds, if two of you don't mind sharing?" She looks up with an apologetic and hopeful face.

I smile and shake her hand.
"Thank you Mrs.."

She grins
"Maddie is fine."

"Okay." I nod "thank you Maddie, I think that room would be fine." I look to Alec and Jayden for confirmation as they nod.
"So, how much would it be for a night?"

Maddie looks down in her book again.
"Room 24 is $79 for a night..."

I smile
"Melissa, this is Alec and that is Jayden. And that's fine thank you."
She smiles at the boys before giving me a secret grin.
"So, these would be your?"