Chapter 24

I slowly open my eyes as the crackle of fire grows.

Alec is sat in a chair next to the fireplace, staring at me with his intense blue eyes.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. I slowly sit up from the couch I was placed in and see my hand bandaged up.
"Jayden is busy." He simply says.

And that's when it hits me. Prince Alzabar visited me last night. My hand trembles a little but I quickly clamp down on it, letting the nervous shakes come to a stop.
"Didn't you sleep?" I ask.

"No."

We sit there for sometime, not moving.
"What day is it?" I suddenly ask.

"You've only been asleep for an hour." He shifts slightly.

"Oh." The one syllable awkwardly hangs in the air as I stare at the fire.
I cough uncomfortably and look at Alec once more to only see he never looked away.
I shiver slightly under his intense gaze but force my spine to stiffen and train my eyes on him.
"What?" I ask, abruptly.

He never once wavers but stays blank.
"You were awakened."

My head swims a little, admittedly, but I make my expression a little harder and nod.
"I know, what does that mean for me?"

He links his hands together, placing them on his lap and leans forward. The fire casts a shadow on him, making his facial structure look all the more sharper and his stubble a little more scruffy. He was the picture of cold perfection.
"This means, we have a road trip."

My eyebrows shoot up, practically burying themselves into my hairline.
This, I was not expecting.
"A road trip?" My voice rings out in confusion.

His expression stays the same but I see a small glint enter his frozen eyes.
"Yes."

I run my hand through my knotted black hair and see him follow the stressed movement.

We both stay silent with me staring at him with a raised eyebrow.
"Well?..." I ask after a couple of quiet seconds.

"Well what?"

I groan in frustration.
"Why are we going on a road trip?"

He wets his lips
"To find your father."

My eyes snap up to meet his unflinching stare.
"What? You can't be serious-"

"I am."

I huff.
"Stop the whole 'I'm going to speak cryptically and drop bombshells on Melissa to piss her off' and explain what the hell is going on!"
I shoot glares at him.

He doesn't even blink.
"Give me your hand."

A weird noise emits from my mouth, half a groan, half a growl.
"See! This. This is what I'm talking about, stop being so cryptic and tell me-"

He snatches my hand in a blink of an eye and grips it tightly.
"Ipsum Revelare" he hisses.

I flinch, my head feels hot for a second.
"What-"

He puts his face right in mine, a breath away from his lips meeting mine.
"Look in my eyes." His close proximity throws me off, but I do it anyway.