Chapter 5

Walking through those double doors was like the movies. I swear every head turned to look at me, as if they knew a new kid was coming, an intruder in their school. Looking around, I suppose it was exactly like the movies. The groups were clear, the social hierarchy was formed and the lines were drawn. And to step over said line would probably equal war.
Good thing I don't mind clobbering some skanky cheerleaders.

I realise I have no idea where the office was and cursed myself for having to stop and talk to someone. A girl with brown hair was standing in front of a locker, clearly struggling to get it open.

Me being the good citizen I was, had to interfere.
"Here, let me help."
I give the locker a solid kick and it bounces open, not before leaving a slight dent.
I shrug
"Ah well, it's not that noticeable,
To blind people."

She giggles and suddenly stops.
"HEY! You're British!" She accuses

I smirk
"Really? I never noticed. I was sure I was Chinese!" I exaggerate, tapping my chin thoughtfully.

She laughs.
"Not what I meant. But that's awesome, dude! I've never met a British person." She says whilst examining me like I'm some creature with a virus in a laboratory.

"Well, I'm sorry to say that I've now set your bar real high. No other British person will compare. Trust me." I blow on my nails and flip my hair like I'm all that.

She smirks
"Sure, sure. So, you the new kid?"

"Nope, I'm an intruder who came all the way from England to brake into your school to kick open your locker and talk to you." I deadpan

"Wow," she nods, "all that trouble for me. I feel special."

"Yes honey, that's because you are special.
Special in the head" I enunciate slowly and clearly as if talking to a 90 year old.

She pauses to think. Staring at me like I'm an essay that needs marking.
"A+ in my books so far. Pretty, British, has good fashion and extremely sarcastic," she dramatically clutches her heart and faints with a hand on her head. "Oh thank you god! I think I just found my soulmate!"

I snicker.
"That's not possible, to have a soulmate you would actually need to require a sou-"

She stands up and playfully scowls.
"Oh shut it! I'm Allison Eaves by the way, you can call me Ally or Al or whatever. I don't mind, call me what you want."

I smirk
"Okay then I'll call y-"

She facepalms herself
"Never mind I retract that. Call me Ally. Period."

I pout but straighten up again, shaking her outstretched hand.
"I'm Melissa Katri. Weird I know. Mum originated from Sri Lanka."

She looks impressed
"Wow, Sri Lankan descent, born in.."

"London" I fill

"..And now moved to California. One day, you have to tell me your life story." She shakes my hand then pulls me in for a hug.

I awkwardly hug her back before looking at the time.
"SH*T! It's 8:45! We're late."

We both turn to look at the corridor to learn that it's empty aside from the two of us.

"Where's the office?" I ask Ally.

"Follow the corridor then turn right and go through the second door." She replied slamming her locker shut and stuffing books in her bag.