Play and Change of Heart

Start from the beginning

I put a hand on my mouth to stifled a giggle then I turn around to see where I can hide.

He wants a challenge? I will give him one. Oh he will never take off that cloth cause he will not catch me.

I rustle a low branch before darting to the left to rustle another branch.

He laughed, "I can hear you Dayu. Can you keep it a bit more quiet?"

I smothered another laugh. Rustling more branches and flowers before climbing a tree like a quiet monkey. He got to ten and started searching.

I watch from above how he stood in the middle of the grove, surrounded by cherry blossom trees. He is inclining his head, left and right. But he is not leaving his spot.

My heart skip when he look up. A sneer formed on his lips, "I think a monkey came into play," he whistles as he walk to the direction of the tree I am sitting in.

The game is on. He may know I am up on a tree but doesn't mean he can catch me. I have training too. When got too close to the tree that I climbed, I quietly slithered down and run a few distance without making any sound to climb another tree...

(Uncle Shu's POV)

Mei and I watched as Dayu made a big mistake. He slithered quietly down on a tree and climb another one quietly.

He is giving away that he had training. Captain Wang on the other hand, still blinfolded, stopped going into the tree that Dayu vacated.

"Changing trees is cheating!" he said and laugh as Dayu slid down from the second tree to stand a few steps away from the Captain.

"Fine!" Dayu said, laughter in his tone, "I am on the ground now, but let's see if you can catch me. I am faster that you. You are big and clumsy," he taunted the Captain who just laugh at him.

The chase started. Dayu darting left and right while Captain Wang, his arms outstretched tried to catch Dayu who laughed and continued to taunt his playmate.

This time, they are not using any training or skill. They are just two people playing a childish game while laughing at each other until the Captain caught Dayu. He lift him in the air, holding Dayu's waist and flinging him left and right. Dayu shierking in giddiness.

Then the Captain put Dayu down, spun him around and felt for his face to capture it and kiss my nephew. Dayu standing on tiptoe to return the kiss.

Then they switch. Dayu now blindfolded and counting while the Captain tried to distract him with the same branch rustling technique that Dayu did.

They continued to play. I found myself smiling as I watching Dayu walking around with his arms outstretch trying to feel out his playmate.

"Let's go Mei," I said to my companion who nodded and turn but not before he smiled again as he watch his cousin having fun.

We return to my cabin. I sit behind the desk while Mei stood in front of it.

"I want you to take Dayu and leave this place." I said.

Mei was surprised, "Uncle, what about the generals?"

"I will take care of killing the generals. You take Dayu away from here. Drug him with sleeping potion, I don't care. I will protect you and your cousin."

"Uncle," Mei put both his hands on the top of the table. "Even if Dayu would agree to leave, I will not leave you here! It will be suicide Uncle. With that many guards surrounding the two generals, even with your skill, there's still a big chance that you will fail and die. No! If you want us to leave, you have to come with me and Dayu,"

"Mei! My brother should be avenge!"

"Then use us! That man was Dayu's father! He would want to avenge his father himself. You trained us for this! Use us!"

"I was wrong!" I pounded angrily at the table. I look at Mei, full of regrets in my heart, "I shouldn't have trained the two of you. I should have taken you both far away from here. I should never have thought of revenge, instead I should have raised the two of you as normal kids. Kids who played like what Dayu is doing now!"

Mei nodded, "I wish that many times too Uncle. Especially when I am seeing how hard Dayu trained. But it's too late for regrets now. You raised us to survive. Dayu wants revenge, he will get it one way or another. With or without our help or permission. I would rather stay by his side. I love him,"

My eyes filled with tears. I was wrong, I raised them both the wrong way. But Mei is right. The time to regret had past now. We have to think of Dayu.

I swallowed loudly, "I just want the two of you to be happy and alive. More than revenge. I saw it tonight, if Dayu would forget this avenge his family business, and live a normal life, he can be happy."

Mei nodded. "I want it for Dayu too Uncle. Let's just get through with killing the two generals and then we can convince Dayu to live a happy life."

I absentmindedly nodded. Dayu's heart is already set for revenge. Mei's heart had already decided to stay with his cousin.

But me. My heart is now seeing a safer, happier future for my nephews.

I will do everything I can to protect them both. Even give my life.