Part 33 the dad

Shane's Pov

I looked into Joey's big eyes, the pack of cigarettes still lying on the ground.

Shane: Joey? Say something!?

Tears were rolling down my cheeks. I know Joey was in shock but, he told me that he was going to stop! But of course, no one quits that quick... I should have talked to him, I should have asked him about it but, I never did. What an asshole of a boyfriend I am. I calmed down and took a deep breath. I put one of my hands on his cheek-stroking my thumb over his jaw.

Shane: It's okay babe. I'm not mad, I'm not mad.

Joey's eyes filled with tears.

Shane: Come on; let's go talk at my place.

I took Joey's hand that wasn't holding Buster's leash. I also took the cigarettes and put them in my own pocket. Then, we slowly walked to my house.

Joey: I'm so sorry Shane.

He whispered while we were walking.

Shane: Don't be sorry Joey. It's my fault too.

Joey: How can it be!? You didn't do anything! I did!

Shane: Joey, clam down. We are going to talk about it. Okay?

Joey: Okay...

We went into my house and I put Buster down with the other dogs. Then Joey and I went to my room. I sat down on my bed and invited him to sit next to me. He did and I wrapped my arms around his side.

Shane: I'm sorry Joey; I should have talked to you about this... I should have helped you...

Joey: I'm a monster, a fucking heartless monster!

Shane: No you aren't! Joey, you're beautiful, incredibly nice and you have the biggest heart in the world. God sent you personally into this universe as a living angel.

Joey: But... I lied to you! You're my boyfriend and you had the right to know.

He cried on my shoulder.

Shane: Don't waste your tears babe. I hate seeing you feel this way.

Joey: But I'm a fucking smoker, drinker and a full out terrible person.

Shane: No you're not! But, we do have to talk about this. You're ok with that, right?

Joey: Yeah... But I'm only talking to you.

Shane: Of course Joey. So tell me, is it only cigarettes or is there something more I need to know?

Joey: Well... I don't do drugs and I don't drink too often, only about one or two drinks and like one cigarette per day...

Shane: My darling, please don't do this to yourself.

Joey: I...I just don't know. Okay Shane? I'm so sorry I never told you. I thought that it would make you happy to think that I quit completely.

Shane: I don't care Joey. These things take time and I should have known that you can't just quit all at once.

Joey: So you... You forgive me?

Shane: Only if you forgive me for being inconsiderate and you'll talk to me when things like this is happen?

Joey: I will Shane, and I'm going to change.

I kissed his head a few times then moved down to his lips and kissed them softly.

Joey: Thanks, I needed that.

Shane: I did too.

He looked into my eyes then kissed me, this time longer and more passionate. I feel so bad for him. Just one cigarette per day and some beers can really change someone's life.