Chapter 9

"Concentrate, Winter," Julian instructed while Winter focused on freezing a glass of water. "Try to focus your attention on the glass of water and only freeze the water. Nothing else." Winter squinted her eyes in concentration, trying to keep her ice on the incredibly still water. She reached out with her power to turn the water to ice. She saw frost slowly creep onto the surface of the crystal clear water. The frost made its way to the center of the glass, creating a sheet of ice on top of the water. She had almost turn all of the water to ice when the frost quickly receded into invisibility. Winter groaned and collapsed back onto the couch that sat behind her. 

"It's okay, Winter," Julian said. "You're getting better. Now, Summer, it's your turn. Try to boil the water into steam." Summer grinned and put her hand out to use her power. She focus her attention on the water, trying to get it warm. The water started to boil easily, growing faster and faster with every passing second. The water began to steam. Summer smiled. But then the water turned still again, and Summer let out a frustrated sigh. 

"We'll never get this, Julian," Summer exclaimed. 

"Yes, you will," Julian said. "You just need more training."

"What we need is a break," Winter shouted, frustrated. 

"Fine," Julian said. "Lucas, give them a break."

"No," Winter said, but she was too late. She could feel Lucas's power slowly creeping over her skin, taking away everything that made her special. She felt as if she was starting to suffocate, as if Lucas were silencing more than just her magic. She glanced over at her sister, who was struggling as well. "Stop!" Winter gasped. She looked up to Lucas. His eyes were filled with regret. He wanted to let her go, but he wouldn't disobey Julian. Despite his obedience, though, Winter could feel his silence over her weaken a little bit. She took a deep breath, filling her empty lungs with air. 

"Release them, Lucas," Julian said eventually. Winter and Summer could feel the silence release them, allowing them to breathe. Lucas's eyes filled with tears at the sight of the two girls struggling for breath because of him. Winter looked into his eyes, preparing to stare daggers at him. But all she saw in his eyes was sadness and regret from making the two of them suffer. So instead she stared at him with sympathy. He gave her a small, sad smile. 

"Training is done for the day," Julian said sharply. He seemed on edge. "Good day." Suddenly, he disappeared from sight. Winter was the first to the door to escape the tiny room where they did their daily training. 

"I'm so sorry," Lucas called, running to catch up to Winter. 

"Why would you do that?" Winter snapped. 

"I didn't have a choice!" Lucas exclaimed. 

"You did have a choice!" Winter argued. "The choice is to say no, Lucas. You tell your grandfather no."

"I can't disobey him," Lucas said. 

"Yes, you can," Winter said. 

"How?" Lucas exclaimed. 

"You say no!" Winter repeated. "You tell Julian that you won't make us suffer."

"I can't do that, Winter," Lucas said.

"Why not?" Winter asked. Lucas looked down at his feet and didn't reply. "Huh? Why can't you do it?" Winter pressed. Lucas still kept his mouth shut. "Fine. Be that way." Winter began to walk off. 

"Wait," Lucas called. Winter turned back around, crossing her arms and raising her eyebrows, as if to say, What do you want? Lucas took a deep breath. "If I disobey Julian," Lucas said, stepping closer to Winter, "then he won't let me go to training anymore."

"And what's so bad about that?" Winter asked, stepping closer. She wanted answers.

"I want to go to training because-" Lucas stopped suddenly, staring down into Winter's eyes. Before he knew what he was doing, his lips were on Winter's. Winter was surprised, but she didn't pull away immediately. She let him kiss her until her brain started working again. She pulled away quickly. 

"What are you doing?" Winter exclaimed. 

"I-" Lucas started. 

"I have a boyfriend, Lucas," Winter said. "I can't do this with you. Don't get me wrong; I like you, Lucas. But I have to be faithful to Christopher."

"Why don't you break up with him if you like me?" Lucas asked, his eyes full of hurt. 

"Because I also like him," Winter explained. "Hell, I love him. I love Christopher, and I don't want to break his heart."

"But you're perfectly fine with breaking mine," Lucas spat. 

"That's different," Winter argued. "You're not my boyfriend." Lucas looked down at his feet. "Look," Winter said, softening, "maybe when Christopher and I break up, you and I can get together. But I won't break his heart now, and I definitely won't cheat on him."

"Okay," Lucas whispered. He walked away slowly, leaving Winter behind. She sighed and raked her hands through her hair. A million thoughts ran through her mind. What did I get myself into? Am I doing the right thing? What if I get together with Lucas? I can't hurt Christopher, but I also don't want to hurt Lucas. 

What a mess.