The Mysterious Hero: Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

"No, Lila. I'm sorry," Adam whispered. "I just don't want to see you hurt. And you look very much in pain right now."

"I know, Adam," I said, wiping my stray tears. "But you know that I can't stop myself from fighting crooks. It's this urge and impulse I get that pushes me to fight the bad guys."

Adam nodded his head. "Lila, I know. You tell me every time I have my panties in a twist," he joked, casting a grin that made me smile a bit. "You're extraordinary. That's why you always have the urge to save people's lives and kick the bad guy's rear ends."

I scoffed, "Extraordinary? I'm not even close to that! There's something wrong with me, Adam!"

"Lila, there is nothing wrong with you," Adam argued, shaking his head. "Don't ever think that."

"Yes, there is something wrong with me! Don't you ever wonder why I have sharp vision, hearing, and reflexes? Or maybe how I can run like the Road Runner and how I can jump like Spiderman? Don't even get me started on my aim and agility! I'm not normal!"

"Yes, you aren't like the normal average kid," he admitted, to which I shouted out an 'aha!' "But you're special, unique."

I sighed in frustration, noticing the school building come into view. "I'm a freak."

Adam made an annoyed sound in the back of his throat. "Unique. You're unique."

The arguing whether I was either a freak or unique annoyed me, so I stayed shut. Adam pulled over to the curve, unlocking my door. I pushed the door opened, turning back to Adam to say bye. He intentionally punched my injured arm, earning a wince from me.

"Have a nice day at school. And remember that you are unique in your own way."

***

No one paid attention to me as I entered homeroom. Not that I minded. I sat in peace with no questions asked, until someone asked for my math homework to which I told them to buzz off.

I always wondered why my senses were so heightened and sharp. I did remember that they weren't always like this. If I recalled correctly, my senses were altered when I was around twelve or maybe thirteen. And that was the time that my mom died. I had tried researching data and constructing theories to find out what was happening to me. But I could never find what I was looking for. I was still lost and I still wanted answers. There were so many questions swarming in my head, that I knew would never be answered. No one could answer my questions because they'd think I was a mutant and immediately send me to some testing laboratory. I laughed as I remembered that one of my theories was that I was a werewolf or vampire, but I knew that wasn't true. Even if I was, I had no evidence or proof to back it up.

Even though I had this impulse that made me go out and fight crime, I did like helping people. Aiding people showed humanity and security, and I took pride in that. I saved lives, stopping people from getting hurt. I did respect these special senses I had, but sometimes it was just difficult to understand why I had them in the first place and why I was not normal.

Normality. That word seemed so foreign to me ever since my senses had been heightened.

I sighed out loud, catching the attention of a few of my classmates. I ducked my head down, avoiding their stares. The people in the back of the room continued their conversation, and because of my sharp hearing, I couldn't help eavesdropping.

"So there was this burglar in my house last night. Of course I didn't know because I'm a heavy sleeper but my dad woke up, hearing loud noises downstairs. He grabbed his baseball bat and went to check it out. And guess who he saw guys?" When no one answered, the girl responded almost immediately. "The Mysterious Hero!"