Twenty-Four|Excavation

AN: Phil in the second one would end my life tbh
Also Dan in the third
***

"Phil?"

Phil couldn't move, he thought that he was dreaming. There was no way that Dan could possibly remember him. He couldn't dodge God's will, it was set by frickin God! And there was no way it was a coincidence that they both ended up at this church today. Coincidence didn't mess around with things like this, he preferred smaller things that make Fate angry.

"You're...my Phil." Dan said slowly, images and memories popping into his head, that he couldn't quite place and kept falling away.

"How do you remember me?" Phil asked.

"I don't..." Dan said, but then he winced as his head started hurting, like it was being renewed. "Fuck, I...I love you. I remember that I love you."

Phil felt his heart skip a beat, "You do?"

Dan groaned as the church started to spin, "I remember...angels."

"Dan." Phil said, putting his hand on his back as he was kneeled over, "Are you okay?"

"No, Phil, it hurts," Dan said, pulling at the ends of his hair, "It hurts to remember."

"Then don't strain yourself-"

"No, I need to know why I know you!" Dan said, feeling air rush into his lungs as he took a deep breath, trying to recall all he flashes behind his eyes. And then he went painfully quiet.

"I remember the night we met," he whispered suddenly, startling Phil, "I remember that you carried me home."

Dan's stable breathing calmed Phil, and he didn't say anything as Dan sorted out his thoughts. "I remember when you healed my hangover the next morning, the way your touch lifted the pain in my skull."

Another deep breath, "I remember...I remember popcorn in the morning and teaching you some songs on the piano."
Dan paused.

"I remember trusting you."

Phil felt tears sting his eyes, and there was nothing he could do to hold them back.

"I remember my boyfriend...no, not then. Niall. I remember Niall and liking him but always being so much more excited to come home to you. And I remember every moment you smiled, or talked. I remember talking you through your insecurities in the bathroom mirror and I remember...the first kiss."

Dan buried his face in his hands, like it still hurt. "I remember what came after, I remember that you were scared I wouldn't enjoy it. I did, so so much. I remember the morning after. And the pancakes and how just like the day we met...you carried me."

Phil was crying silently as he listened, looking at Dan all lost and empty on the floor. Curled up into a ball and rambling away the pain.

"I remember you, Phil. I remember the day I forgot." Dan said, and then he turned around, so that he and Phil made eye contact. His eyebrows furrowed, "Why are your eyes leaking?"

Phil felt himself on the edge of sobbing at that, as more tears streamed down his cheeks. "I'm crying...because I thought I lost you."

Dan stood up and crushed Phil in a hug, burying his face in his chest and feeling his own tears fall down his face. "I love you, Phil. I don't know how I remember but I know that I love you and that could never change."

Phil held Dan until their tears stopped falling. They were both just so happy to be together it was difficult to let go. Of course, there was a few people who came into pray and saw the boys, but didn't say anything. They probably thought they were just praying very emotionally.