|Chapter 42|

You ever gotten scolded by your parents so bad, that you started questioning yourself. Was that a good idea? Maybe I shouldn't have done that. As you come to the realization of what you did, it's too late. You can't take it back or redo it.

So as I stood here on the window ledge and stared down at the ground below, I questioned myself. Is this a good idea? Then it occurred to me.

Good ideas haven't been my virtue lately.

"Zoey? Zoey!" The sudden voice scared me and I jumped, my nails digging into the side of the wall.

"Wait, what? I thought you..." I glanced back at Kade and saw he was looking at me. His white eyes looked kind of foggy.

"Now, Zoey. Or no help." She whispered. I nodded, turning back to the window.

"What is that noise? It sounds like static. Ugh. My ears." Kade groaned and I heard something crash behind me.

"Don't you hear it, Zoey? It's... so loud." He gritted out. I blew out a breath and released the wall. A loud bang sounded, but I paid no attention to it.

"Zoey?" Michael's voice filled my ears.

"Just fall and let the wind carry you into oblivion." She whispered in my ear. I closed my eyes and stepped forward.

"No!" My body yanked back and I opened my eyes. I was hanging outside of the building, dangling over the ground. I looked up and saw Michael straining to pull me up by my shirt.

"No. Let me go. I have to do this." I said. His vein was protruding out his neck as he tried to pull me up.

"When I get you back up here..." He trailed off. A rip sounded and I could feel my body yank down. It felt like an extra weight was weighing down on my foot.

I looked down, my eyes growing wide.

"Come on. You're wasting time." The figure whispered. She pulled again, causing another rip to sound.

"Jesus-- Kade! Come and help me! She's slipping!" My shirt finally gave out and I could feel myself falling.

"No, Zoey!"

I closed my eyes as I braced myself for impact. My body was emerged in cold water, making me open my eyes. I looked around, panic settling in my bones.

The sun tore through the waves of the water and I tried to swim up, but I couldn't.

"Don't leave me, Zoey." I looked down and saw Matt. He was hanging onto my foot. His blue eyes seemed to glow through the water and I could feel my heart drop.

"Matt--" Water filled my mouth and I closed it. I hesitantly swallowed the water and weird enough, it didn't taste like salt. It tasted like...

Blood.

The water around me started to become thicker and the once clear, blue was now stark, red. I looked down again and saw Kade this time.

"I can't live without you, Zoey. I will never leave you." He said. My lip was trembling from the fear that invaded my system. What is happening?

"Swim, Zoey! Swim to the top!" The figure yelled somewhere above me.

I kicked my foot out, trying to swim up to the surface. Hands pulled on my body, preventing me from going anywhere.

"Don't leave us, Zoey!" Matt yelled.

"I will never leave you. I promise." Kade whispered.

"You cannot be like my sister. You can survive this thing."