|Chapter 21|

Her eyes shined with hatred, causing me to scoot my chair away from her.

"Hello, Zoey. How's life?" She asked. My apple fell from my hand and hit the table.

"Oh my gosh, Ash! I'm so glad you're safe." I said, sending her a smile. The glare stayed in place and fury burned in her eyes.

"No, you're not. You left me. Under a tree." She sneered. My stomach was going crazy and my hands were shaking against the table.

Something bright flashed me in my eyes, causing me to slowly get up.

"He had shot you. I couldn't bring you with me. You would have just slowed us down."

People were starting to stare at us from around the cafeteria and I was really hoping she wouldn't make a huge scene.

"So there's an us now? You don't even know him!" She shouted, lunging for my throat.

I stepped to the side, the dagger barely scratching me. I quickly turned to her, my eyes wide.

"Ash! Stop! We don't have to fight." I said. I could see Man-bun quickly approaching us.

"They will take you out if you cause a scene in here. Please. Think about it." I tried to reason with her.

"No. You left me to die, Zoey. Your best friend." She spat, shaking her head. I looked at Man-bun, who was behind her and saw he had a gun pointed to the back of her head.

I shook my head, mouthing I got this.

"Look, Ash--"

"Stop calling me that!"

"Okay. Okay, Miss Dagger Quick," I grunted, getting annoyed.

"They will shoot you if you are a threat. If you hadn't noticed, this is a safe bunker. And you waving that dagger around is making it unsafe." I said.

She began lowering the dagger.

"That's right. We don't have to fight." I said, holding my hand out. My stomach pains were subsidizing, but they immediately picked back up.

I pulled my hand back, balling my hands up.

"You're not going to give up, are you?" I asked. She smiled, and the gesture was creepy looking.

"I guess you knew that already since you're a prescient and all." I could hear gasps sound around the room and Man-bun began cocking the pistol.

"How do you know that?" I asked. We began circling each other and it was starting to feel like a battle to the death.

"Gregory. He promised me safety if I told him where you were. Instead, he sent me here. Now, the Admiral is dead and that was your only hope to getting your little brother back." She teased.

My eyes slit into daggers and I could feel my body heating.

"You betrayed me?" I asked. She scoffed, flicking the dagger in her hand.

"Protection over friendship. It was easy." She said.

I shook my head. She's the reason the intruders were here. The reason the Admiral is dead. My eyes zeroed in on her.

"You know where Matt is."

She laughed, the sound ticking me off. As I stared at her, my whole opinion of her changed. The girl I once knew, that I built a solid friendship with for years was gone. Some solid friendship.

I stopped moving, gesturing her towards me.

"Come at me then." I gritted out.

Her eyes became wild and she ran at me, slicing the dagger through the air. I moved back and I could hear someone barking out commands for people to get out the way.