|Chapter 20|

I swung my feet back and forth, playing with my fingers.

The room felt like it was spinning and I let out a shaky breath, running a hand over my face.

The square shaped room was silent and there were only three people occupying it. Michael had insisted I let the doctor see Kade just in case something was wrong with him.

I've been in the same spot for the past hour, waiting.

The past week was starting to catch up to me. My body was tired and slow. I wasn't running as fast as I was before. I tried to figure out the problem by running on their indoor track.

I know. I couldn't believe the underground bunker had a track too when I first heard it. My feet felt heavy every time I lifted it up. I felt out of breath.

My eyes had bags under them and they looked dull as ever. I didn't feel like myself anymore. Well, mainly because I'm not myself.

I'm a prescient. Sadly.

I groaned, laying my head in my hands. My mind didn't feel safe anymore. I didn't feel safe. Matt doesn't feel safe.

Jesus, Matt. I have to get out of here. He probably thinks I've just given up on him. Or maybe Gregory fed him some crap about me being dead.

He's a strong kid. He can take care of himself. I just don't know how long that will last.

He's by himself out there. He doesn't have anyone to tell him it's going to be okay. That he's going to be safe.

He only had mom and me to protect him. I have no idea where he is and mom is dead.

Mom. If only she would have believed me... She shouldn't have gone to Gregory for protection. She shouldn't have trusted him.

How could she think that he would let us go after he killed all the prescients? Wait. If she knew about prescients, did she know about me?

"Miss Archer."

I looked up and saw James standing in front of me.

"Yeah?" I breathed out. His eyebrows rose a little and there was a questioning look in his eyes.

"Why are you crying?" He asked. I blinked, feeling the wetness around my eyes. I shook my head, wiping my face.

"No. My eyes are just watering. What's up?" I asked. James sat down in the chair next to me and released a breath.

"Kade is going to be okay." He said. It felt like my heart lifted a little.

"Thank, God," I whispered. I sat back in the seat.

"I'm sorry if I'm intruding, but do you two have something going on?" He asked. I looked over at him.

"Honestly, I have no idea. I feel like... I'm drawn to him. Like I can't control myself when I'm with him." I said. He nodded, looking forward.

I stared at James, several questions forming in my head.

"Where is he, James? Where is my brother?" I whispered. His head turned to me and I could see different emotions swirling in his eyes.

His bright, green eyes shifted from my gaze.

"Only one person knew your brother's location." He said lowly. My heart dropped and I could feel dread seeping in.

"No. Don't tell me... No." I said, standing up. He looked up at me.

"I'm sorry, Zoey. It wasn't supposed to happen that way." He said. I shook my head.